Reset ESC without button? (Unknown Operation Mode)

• System: KRC2 ed05 running KSS 5.6.8, operating smoothly for 6+ months.

I got the External E-Stop & Unknown Operation Mode errors after switching from Auto mode to T1, activating a Digital Output twice, then switching back to Auto mode.

From what I've read here, the common causes are bad/loose wiring and errors with the X11 plug, so I cleaned the mode switch, checked with a multimeter and it functions as it should. X11 hasn't changed but I pulled the jumper plug and double checked continuity across all jumpers - 0 ohms. Now I still have those two errors, but can't find any loose connections or blown fuses.

I don't entirely understand how to read the LED lights or the bit data in the ESC diagnostics but I can see that the KPS is not getting some kind of signal (KPS icon flashing red in the diagnostics screen), and the local e-stop circuit is released. I did have an external e-stop in series, I took it out and moved that wire back to the cabinet e-stop button.

When I have the e-stop pressed and hit reset on the pendant, the "enable drives" light on this image is green and it says enabled. That seems like backwards wiring somehow.

Others in this situation have replaced or reset the ESC via a button, but I don't have a convenient button. Can I jump two pins where that button should be, maybe?

The KPS has a red led in the top left, and only a few LED's are green on the ESC board, one strange thing is that three of the ESC relays activate briefly then reset, but one in the middle does not:

Unfortunately I don't have a parts supply to try swapping out the ESC or other parts.

Here's hoping the answer is one of the "too obvious to see" ones.

• Welp, I have 0v on pins 21 and 22 on the X11 plug. That's enough for today, I'll trace the wiring tomorrow and figure out where the voltage should be coming from. If it's back to an ESC node chip, it's going to be an exciting day.

• Solved, in the worst way possible! I took a lunch break, came back and turned the controller on, and everything works.

I believe the last thing I had done was jiggle some wires on the K1.1 contactor (coming from the X123 plug on the KPS), since I was getting the "drives contactor auxiliary contact" error and the check was to check jumper X123.

• Hello, has your problem been resolved?

Because I'm having the same error, I did the same procedures you did and it even worked for a while but now it's back.

Advertising from our partners