Safety Circuit wiring R-30iA with AB 5069-OBV8S

• Hello All,

I have a robot cell I've been working on for a few months, it is my first integration project (I do not work for an integrator, I am a first time automation engineer at a manufacturer), and I have a problem. I'm using an Allen Bradley Compact GuardLogix PLC with safety IO modules to control the safety and other parts of the cell. My plan was to have the safety devices (interlock, e-stop button, light curtains) input to the PLC, and then the PLC output to the EES and EAS terminals on TB0P4. After testing and popping fuse 1 a couple times, it isn't working. It looks like I need to use dry contacts to complete the safety circuit and not powered points, so my questions are:

Can I use my output module (5069-OBV8S) by wiring it in bipolar mode with my negative to EES/EAS 1/2, and the positive to EES/EAS 11/21, or will that also pop the fuse? I currently have the positive to EES/EAS 1/2 and negative to EES/EAS 11/21.

Do I need to get safety relays for this instead? Since I'm using a safety PLC, would it be ok to use normal relays controlled by the safety output module? It is being built to SIL2.

Can I make my module points dry contacts somehow? My apologies if this is a dumb question, my PLC education was... limited, to say the least.

Does the safety circuit run on the EXT 0/+24V in TB0P6 and should I be looking at how I have that wired instead? That is wired as +24VDC to EXT24V and the negative from the same DC PSU to the EXT0V.

I am out of my depth, with no real experience or education in safety wiring, so my apologies if this isn't making sense.

• Swapping the outputs so that the negative side went to EES/EAS 1/2 and the positive side to EES/EAS 11/21 worked. If there are any issues this might cause later on down the road, please feel free to chime in. Otherwise, I consider this solved.

Edited once, last by RockemSockem: Describes an incorrect and potentially dangerous way to approach the problem I was trying to solve. I do not want to be the reason anyone does something stupid with electronics. ().

• Nice that you got it to work, and that you reported your results here.

Looks like the EES/EAS is supplied by EXT24V/EXT0V. Typically these are jumpered in the controller to it's internal 24V. My only concern would be that if you didn't remove the jumpers, is that now you have the safety output card's 24v tied to the robot's 24v. But since it looks like you are supplying the external voltage supply, I think you should be good.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Yes, they are int the Controller Maintenance Manual, in the appendixes. That diagram is from a newer controller, but the estop/fence/servo off chains have been the same forever.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Alright, so I actually messed up. My "solution" above does not work and, for anyone reading this for the same reason I started it, you probably shouldn't try it. Thank you Nation for showing me the schematic because that is why I didn't even test my "solution" (as to why I said it worked without testing it, that was a silly mistake on my part. When troubleshooting, I undid the power to the output module and didn't wire it back in when I tested my first solution, and when it didn't blow the fuse I thought that meant it worked). I was way overthinking the problem, and the solution is simple.

My current solution is as follows:

Leave EES11/21 and EAS11/21 alone

With PLC outputs in bipolar mode (0=pt0 sourcing,1=pt0 sinking,2=pt1 sourcing... etc) wire point 0 sourcing to EES1, point 0 sinking to EES2, point 1 sourcing to EAS1, and point 1 sinking to EAS2. It works and hasn't blown any fuses. From a circuitry standpoint, this should be the same as using dry contacts, as the external supply for the safety circuit is the same as that for the PLC. Unless I'm mistaken (very possible as I'm no safety engineer) this should mean that it maintains the same safety rating as if I had just used appropriately SIL rated safety relays.

Here's why the initial solution I came up with wouldn't work:

The problem was that the safety circuit was being shorted. Because each point on the output module was powered in parallel, the signal from the safety circuit could go straight to the common of the DC PSU, thus blowing the fuse. Swapping the polarity of the output point wouldn't have done anything to prevent that as the signal could have travelled through either wire and down to the parallel connections. In fact, it might have been worse because I'd be pitting my DC PSU against itself, I think.

Advertising from our partners