2 Yaskawa MOTOMAN GP110 robots on linear rail

• Hello,

I am currently programming 2 Yaskawa MOTOMAN GP110 robots that are on a linear rail, which is their 7th axis. Basically, the operation of both is picking and placing parts throughout stations on either side, an assembly line. What would be the best way (assuming to use interference zones) to make sure these robots don’t hit each other?

Parts towards the end of the line (robot 2) will be the higher priority for production.

• The length of the rail is approximately 62 feet. The necessary operating length for robot 1 will be approximately 1/2 of the rail (towards robot 2). The necessary operating length for robot 2 will travel into robot 1's operating space, but is the more important robot, which will travel closer to 2/3 of the length of the rail.

Robot 1 is being called the 'Load Robot', since it is loading the 2 main parts of the assembly at the very first station of this line.

Robot 2 is being called the 'Unload Robot' since it is unloading the finished part at the end of the line.

My main concern is how to make Robot 2's jobs/operations that interfere with Robot 1's operating length/area transfer over to Robot 1 and basically tell Robot 1 to wait or move backwards.

• Connect the two robots to a PLC and use outputs to tell the PLC where the robots are on the rail. The PLC can then use logic to determine what robot has priority over the other.

You can't just make a robot "back up", you would need to have "job interrupt" to call another program to make the robot go where you want, then return to the original program.

Of course this only works if you don't have any button pushers in your plat that will jump over the out on or off instructions.

You can also put switches on the rail to tell the PLC where the robot is.

Robodoc

• So you will have to make sure the base axes are set up correctly RECTX or RECTY and also that the motor direction is correct. Forward and Reverse. Then you teach TCP to each robot and then do RB Calibration 3 point touch with TCPs to setup interference so they don't hit each other. Then you can use PSTART and Tsync to make sure things are running smoothly. If you provide details on how your robots are mounted to the track, facing, and gear rack position I can assist with Base Axis setup so that things work well.

• One of easiest way is to use Intereference Cubes and monitoring external outputs allocated to each cube. If your system is in master/slave configuration with one controller for both robots they share the same pool of cubes. If the setup is with two independent controllers you can do it with coupling device to connect cube inputs of one with corresponding outputs of the other ans vice versa.

Use of PLC, as Robodoc suggested, gives you an opportunity to use TCP tracking function which send tool coordinated to the output and PLC can track it in almost real time.

As one of my colleagues says: "It's many ways to skin the cat".

Advertising from our partners