RPS switch wont turn on...

• Hello,

I have set the RPS to dedicated signal 1039. This signal is routed over EIP to my PLC.

All my other dedicated signals work fine (motor on, cycle start etc), but RPS wont turn on.

EIP communication works fine and i can see the input turn on.

What am I missing?

Thank you

• dj_adamix

Changed the title of the thread from “RSP switch wont turn on...” to “RPS switch wont turn on...”.
  • That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Your title says 'RPS doesn't switch on', but your post says:

EIP communication works fine and i can see the input turn on.

You also need to turn on the system switch RPS in order for external RPS requests to be executed.

This system switch is usually turned off as default.

When using this function, it is common to control the system switch inside a background to task to ensure it never gets turned off.

• That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Your title says 'RPS doesn't switch on', but your post says:

You also need to turn on the system switch RPS in order for external RPS requests to be executed.

This system switch is usually turned off as default.

When using this function, it is common to control the system switch inside a background to task to ensure it never gets turned off.

What I meant was that my EIP communication works and I'm able to monitor input being turned on by the PLC on the robot pendant. This same input is set up as a dedicated input for the RPS.

So on my input monitor the input turns on when I trigger it from the PLC but the RPS does not. Its almost like they are not mapped internally in the robot, but I do have them set in the aux 601 to be dedicated (I believe its 601, don't have the robot in front of me now).

I have created a PC program which turns on RPS. I set a dedicated input for "PC program 1 start" and tied it into another input coming from EIP and I'm able to run my PC1 program when I trigger it from the PLC, which turns on the RPS. It works, but it feels more of a workaround.

If I set RPS to a dedicated input, shouldn't it turn on when I trigger that input from the PLC? It does not, I feel like I'm missing something.

• This same input is set up as a dedicated input for the RPS.

There is no dedicated input to enable/disable RPS function.

I think you may need to read up on RPS in the external IO manual and also operations manual.

In what context are you trying to use RPS?

• Attached is a small video clip showing a very basic RPS functionality.

You can only accomplish this using RPS when programming in BLOCK as the function is tied into BLOCK J/E settings relative to the dedicated signals setup for RPS functionality.

If it is AS programming you are doing, you would simply use BITS command with respect to a CASE statement or a bunch of IF/END

• There is no dedicated input to enable/disable RPS function.

I think you may need to read up on RPS in the external IO manual and also operations manual.

In what context are you trying to use RPS?

Oh I have been reading manuals, posting on a forum is my last resort.

In the manual it states that it can be enabled via external input. Look at the attachment.

All my other dedicated signals work fine (Motor On, Cycle start etc)

All I'm trying to do is to reset pg0 to step 0 when plc cycle starts. I've accomplished this by creating a PC program as stated earlier, but I was under the impression that I can directly control RPS from PLC once I set it to a dedicated input.

• Read that document again, you are reading it incorrectly.

That does not enable RPS function, it merely allows switching to another program WHEN RPS FUNCTION IS ENABLED.......I cannot say it any other way......RPS-ON is not enabling RPS Functionality.

All I'm trying to do is to reset pg0 to step 0 when plc cycle starts

Then set RPS ON permanently and allocate the external program reset to an EIP signal from the PLC.

By using RPS ON, pg0 then external program reset will empty the program stack of the current program and prime pg0 from step 1 (not step 0).

In my previous post (attachment), I am showing you how RPS function works as per the manual.

• Okay that makes more sense. Thank you for your help.

• No problem.

There is a misconception regarding RPS functionality that it is often overlooked.

It's function by design is for use with BLOCK programming tied to program naming conventions PGx.

Tied into J (JUMP) and E (END) settings on the relative taught step as required, allows for simple program change or interrupting from the current program and of course resetting of programs too.

This feature is only available when RPS function is enabled either by RPS system switch (changeable through aux func or code in any controller state) or by function button (available on the teach pendant only in Repeat Mode).

With AS Language you have specific commands like PRIME, EXECUTE and BITS, IF/END, CASE/OF/END which programmatically are the 'code' replacement for RPS, so when using AS Language as the core programming element, RPS becomes redundant.

However: -

As RPS Function is tied to PGx naming conventions, when RPS function is enabled, even if no signals are allocated for program no's in dedicated inputs, then it will always read the selected program no. as 0 (pg0).

So If you are using AS, then RPS could be used in the way you have explained.

You can use pg0 as your 'Main' program or 'another program' and utilize the external program reset input to carry out the following with a pulse of the external program reset dedicated input:

- hold the robot.

- clear the current program from the stack.

- prime pg0 from step 1.

But pg0 must exist, or else an error will occur if RPS Function is enabled.

I've seen instances where a programmer has set pg0 specifically as an auto recover program that then calls a main program, which works very well too.

BUT if RPS is not enabled, then the external program reset will just reset the current program to step 1 instead, so RPS system switch has to be carefully managed when using it this way.

This is very common for Kawasaki veterans whom have had previous experience with BLOCK programming, but somewhat of a 'black box' for newcomers as the manual explanations (only true explanations are in the external IO manual) are specifically directed to BLOCK programming as per design.

In addition to this, I am pretty sure you cannot enable RPS Function when no dedicated signals are set relative to RPS first.

On a clean controller either enabling RPS via the system switch, code or function button will remain off until at least one of the dedicated signals is dedicated and allocated, such as external program reset.

Advertising from our partners