Changing X11 saffety to ProfiSafe

• Hi guys!

Today I faced some troubles when I have to change a robot that comes with EthernetIP and X11 saffety to Profinet and Profisafe (to connect an Siemens Saffety PLC).

I installed the Kuka Profinet S pack and uploaded to the robot. I got the "red bar" saffety inoperate, but I don't have the robot connected to the PLC yet!

I know that this "red bar" is normal since robot can not connect to the PLC, but I also got this warning (KSS13015):

(the translation from portuguese)

<SYS-X48> EtherCat Bus-Scan: BUS-Dev 'KUKA SION-SIB-STD' [CFG-Dev: Slave not configered]

The robot also assumed that the saffety interface is ProfiSafe.

My question is if i can just delete the Kuka System BUS (SYS-X48) and if that will solve the problem. Image in the next post.

Also can i just delete EthernetIP MS? What is the best way to do it?

Sorry for my Ingles

• to exchange X11 interface to profisafe interface you have to delete Safety Interface Board (SIB) form KUKA SYSTEM BUS and deploy the project to the controller , after that turn off power of SIB board .

you have installed a dummy bridge on X11 connector even we know we have disconnected the power of the board , this item is mandatory !!!!

• First of all, thank you guys for the help!

What type of controller? KRC4/KRC4 compact/KRC5

It's KRC4.

What steps did you take when changing from X11 to Profisafe?

I just installed Profinet KOP (5.0.<something>), added an Profinet to the struture and then activated the profisafe.

When I activated profisafe, WoV said that I can't have SIB and Profisafe at the same time and asked to remove SIB, so I removed SIB.

That is everything that I have done.

The next image is just the bus struture on the WoV with the robot base project.

Can you post all the errors on the smartPad in English?

Nothing really important.

Up to bottom is:

1- <SYS-X48> EtherCat Bus-Scan: BUS-Dev 'KUKA SION-SIB-STD' [CFG-Dev: Slave not configered]

2- Sumcheck of saffety is incorrect.

3- A3 not calibrated. (we know how to solve it, but i didn't have the EMD kit at the startup of the robot)

4- Workspaces monitor disable.

5- Saffety Stop

6- Not possible to stablish connection with PLC in 20000ms (once again, the robot and the PLC isn't connected physically yet)

7- Cold start.

to exchange X11 interface to profisafe interface you have to delete Safety Interface Board (SIB) form KUKA SYSTEM BUS and deploy the project to the controller , after that turn off power of SIB board .

I have done that as showed above, except turning power off SIB board. How can i find SIB board? Can i just follow the X11 cables?

you have installed a dummy bridge on X11 connector even we know we have disconnected the power of the board , this item is mandatory !!!!

When you say that you meaning that I have to make a shunt connection on the X11? Sorry, I didn't undertand what is the dummy bridge on X11. Can you be more explanatory?

• When I activated profisafe, WoV said that I can't have SIB and Profisafe at the same time and asked to remove SIB, so I removed SIB.

your screenshot show that you did not remove SIB board from WoV project. and removing it from project is not enough. it need to be physically disconnected from the system.

really? i think everything listed is rather important. pretty sure robot agrees with me, that is unless you can convince it to move despite those messages..

I have done that as showed above, except turning power off SIB board. How can i find SIB board? Can i just follow the X11 cables?

follow schematics. it will show you how SIB board is labeled, how it is supplied and networked with rest of the system.

When you say that you meaning that I have to make a shunt connection on the X11? Sorry, I didn't undertand what is the dummy bridge on X11. Can you be more explanatory?

Once you remove SIB and X11 interface you need to install X311 jumper plug on CCU.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• My question is if i can just delete the Kuka System BUS (SYS-X48) and if that will solve the problem. Image in the next post.

No, that will create more problems. Kuka System Bus is required for robot operation.

Also can i just delete EthernetIP MS?

EIP need to be removed from the project and uninstalled from controller. EIP and PNET use same resources and for that reason cannot be both present.

Sorry for my Ingles

use Google translation.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Quote from Panic Mode

your screenshot show that you did not remove SIB board from WoV project. and removing it from project is not enough. it need to be physically disconnected from the system.

No. The image I showed in the previous answer was the base project with which the robot came from the factory! I already changed it, the image of the current project is that of the first answer of the post.

Quote from Panic Mode

really? i think everything listed is rather important. pretty sure robot agrees with me, that is unless you can convince it to move despite those messages..

Okay, I explained myself badly. I don't mean they aren't important, just that I know how to solve them. The only part I don't know is this part of changing the safety interface from X11 to PROFIsafe.

Quote from Panic Mode

follow schematics. it will show you how SIB board is labeled, how it is supplied and networked with rest of the system.

Okay, can you help me to tell which is the most appropriate manual to find the schematics?

Quote from Panic Mode

Once you remove SIB and X11 interface you need to install X311 jumper plug on CCU.

Thanks! I will try it.

Quote from Panic Mode

No, that will create more problems. Kuka System Bus is required for robot operation.

Right, thanks. I just asked, because I already opened projects that worked by PROFIsafe in WoV and didn't have X48 on the structured bus.

Quote from Panic Mode
    EIP need to be removed from the project and uninstalled from controller. EIP and PNET use same resources and for that reason cannot be both present.

Thanks! You really being helpful!

• to change interface from ProfiSafe to X11 you need to

1. power up

2. collect fresh project from robot (or make archive or image, that should collect them all)

3. power down cabinet

4. install SIB board (single thumb screw)

5. make sure it is powered correctly (see schematics, A1.PMB.X302 - A3.SIB.X250 using cable W188678)

6. make sure it is networked correctly (see schematics, A1.CCU.X48 to A3.SIB.X258 using cable W189363)

7. remove one of blank plates and install X11 interface.

8. connect X11 interface. it comes with cable harness ending in several connectors. couple of them plug to SIB board. one goes to CCU to X311 (existing X311 jumper plug must be removed). cable jackets are stripped to expose shield. this should be tied to cabinet ground like other cables.

to change interface from X11 to ProfiSafe reverse above process ... and you will need to order from KUKA X311 jumper plug. alternatively you can use a hack... keep X11 interface connected to X311 and place enabling switch jumpers on X11 (SIB is not needed).

if done correctly this concludes hardware changes.

next step is to modify WoV project.

use most recent project as a base, save it as new file so that when you deploy it, original WoV project is not overwritten.

edit project hardware configuration to match real hardware (adapt added/removed hardware)

do not remove system bus, if SIB is not longer present just remove SIB

EIP and PNET cannot be used at the same time. both use same resources (virtual5) so it is one or another but not both. if you need to add one of them to your system you will need to install it according to your KSS version needs. on old system it would be installed manually using smartPad. on newer KSS versions this is done through WorkVisual.

and if EIP or PNET are added you may need to configure them. if they are used as a safety interface, you will have to configure them.

next deploy and activate project. since hardware changed you will also need to activate new safety configuration.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners