KUKA Not moving!

• Hello guys,

Yesterday i was testing a Kuka Robot for commissioning, a KR 470-2PA, KRC4 Controller

Everything was good at the beginning, in Start-up mode, i was able to move the robot, test I/O signals from the tooling, check programs, points, everything. After a couple of hours i tried again to check some programs, and motion was not possible, even in start-up mode, with the Robot disconnected from the PLC, i restarted several times the controller with the same result.

One strange thing that i noticed was that the "key" for change between T1, T2, Auto, External, it wasn't showing anything on the screen when i was moving it. Also when i hit the Emergency stop of the Teach pendandt, none message was on the alarm history about emergency stops.

I am a little bit lost with this, because i went for lunch, and when i returned the robot was not moving anymore :(.

What should i check? Try a different pendandt?.

Cheers!

• press and hold enabling switch

i tried this several times, i know that for move the robot you need to hold this switch in to the middle position and then press the start key. Even i tried with the 3 different enabling switches that the pendandt has, and same result.

• click on drives and see what is off.

check AutoExternal signals ($DRIVES_OFF etc.)

make sure that PLC is not connected or reachable (if it is, you cannot use StartUp mode). so unplug network cable between PLC and KRC. if the PLC is working and reachable - configure it and use robot normally (without startup mode)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• switching power off/on does a restart but... the type of restart is not necessarily correct type.

it need to be the cold restart.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• switching power off/on does a restart but... the type of restart is not necessarily correct type.

it need to be the cold restart.

I just tried this, didn't worked. I already tried with another TP, same result.

At the bottom area of the picture, there is this message about "emergency stop inoperative", and the middle icon is read. What does it mean? with the other robots i wasn't having that red icon. Those are the messages that i got after choose "start-up mode".

I am very surprised that when i flip the key for T1/T2 mode, is not being showed on the screen, neither the emergency stop when i press it.

Cheers!

• the question is what changed...

looks like new project was deployed with different hardware configuration. and the hardware was not adapted. in that case obviously nothing is going to work.

i see that your robot is trying to use CIP Safety. that is one of three possible network based interfaces. they always dominate the other option - parallel safety interface (X11 over SIB). in case of small controllers (KRC4 compact for example), X11 is simply ignored when network based safety is used. but in larger controllers, this causes conflict and one must ensure that SIB is disconnected from CCU.

and you have a message there that SIB could not be initialized - X48 is an SIB interface and when using other safety interfaces (like CIP safety) this must not be connected... and WoV project must not contain SIB boards. also all topology (connected and configured) must match....

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks for the update, so, what do you suggest? i am literally the unique Robot guy here on site, and the guys who programmed the robot there are not available anymore (work in different company).

Should i restore the old proyect? i have a backup from Workvisual, but i don't know if that will be enough...

• Old project should still be on the robot. If not you will need workvisual and alll options from the robot as well as all device description files.

And last word of warning... Before you do anything make sure to have backup.

3) read 1 and 2

• Old project should still be on the robot. If not you will need workvisual and alll options from the robot as well as all device description files.

And last word of warning... Before you do anything make sure to have backup.

Hi again sorry to bother you,

I am still having issues with this Robot, KUKA is giving some suggestions like try a different ethercat cable but still doesn't work.

I want to try this:

We have a spare brand new controller on site, can i just load the current proyect from workvisual to the new controller? Or i must use the USB KUKA recovery tool to do a full image of the "old" controller?.

Thanks!

• i am not sure what you mean. controllers can have different hardware, software and configuration. transferring image or WoV project from one controller to another can work - if EVERYTHING is the same.

3) read 1 and 2

• i am not sure what you mean. controllers can have different hardware, software and configuration. transferring image or WoV project from one controller to another can work - if EVERYTHING is the same.

I mean, the customer is proposing to test the same robot but with a different controller, since the actual controller is having issues, and i was told that all the controllers and robots are 100% identical, if that is the case then i think it should work based on your advise.

So in a summary my question was, if all the controllers are identically the same (hardware, software), is enough the workvisual backup?

• note that they really need to be identical...

for example it is possible to configure two controllers with different hardware to work with same robot.

(KPP0+KSP20+KSP40 vs KPP3+KSP40)

deploying same project to both of them would result in one of them no longer working. also deploying same project means network settings will be the same too.

3) read 1 and 2

• note that they really need to be identical...

for example it is possible to configure two controllers with different hardware to work with same robot. deploying same project to both of them would result in one of them no longer working. also deploying same project means network settings will be the same too.

so if there is a minimum difference between the controllers, and i copy the proyect, can i screw the controller? like forever? i was told by KUKA to check the KSS version.

• no, not forever.... only until matching project for that controller is activated again.

it is always a good idea is to:

a) note name of current working project on target controller

b) make a full backup (image and archive).

c) use unique name for new project so that when it is deployed to controller it does not overwrite any of existing projects already there.

then if something goes wrong, one can normally just activate again project that was active before.

if the hardware is the same but there are software differences, deploying mismatch project will likely corrupt target system and that would require restoring of system using backup image (previously collected).

if the KSS version is not exactly the same but just slightly different, it may still work. but.. no guaranties. for example KSS8.5.6 and 8.5.8 are same major version and nearly the same but there are differences. some are simple like files placed in different location and deploying would not overwrite them, it would create duplicates for example.

so deploying same project to several controllers is possible but usually it is only done when all controllers are really the same batch.

3) read 1 and 2

• KUKA suggested to change the CCU board from a spare Controller that we have here. I swapped it and now the Robot moves.

Honestly i couldn't tell you how the board was damaged. Robot was working before and then suddenly stopped.

Anyway thanks for the help!

Advertising from our partners