Standard for the integration of industrial robots

• Hello dear community,

I am a junior engineer and don't have enough experience. I ask for your advice as more experienced professionals.

Perhaps someone can share an example standard for the integration of industrial robots in a factory.

For example:

- Requirements for an integrator;

- Programming requirements for robot;

- Safety robot system requirements;

- The list of documentation provided by the integrator after installation;

- Etc.

Or please tell me what need to pay attention when working with an integrator and writing a technical task.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I searched for a similar topic on the forum but did not find.

Edited once, last by KovBo ().

• requirements will vary depending where you or your clients are. they can be imposed through regulations but there can also be things that are not regulated but clients still request them.

in general safety standards are country specific although robotic safety standards are harmonized and quite similar.

companies in same country can have different internal standards. so there is no universal answer, specially since you did not state what country you are from.

many small companies are happy that they got new cell that does the work and do not push for more (documentation etc.).

automotive companies in particular are very aware of this and will usually spell everything exactly as part of requirements long before project starts. they will not be happy with cell being operational, they will insist on full documentation, source code of everything, and will also dictate what products can be used - you cannot just go and pick robot or PLC or HMI that you are familiar with or can get good deal on. They will usually dictate every little thing including what type of wiring labels to use, how code must be structured etc. Often they will have ready templates or project examples.

I am in Canada so here there are number of standards like

Z432 - Machine safety directive

Z434 - Robotic safety

Z142 - Press safety

etc.

Then there are electrical standards (panel building , wiring, power distribution,...), lockout etc,

Then there are field inspections and approvals. If product does not meet CSA or UL it cannot be used and must be replaced or modified to meet the standards. This can be expensive.

Also there is a pre-health and safety review that goes over hazards and evaluates risk and remedies including determining minimum acceptable safety category.

I am sure similar exists pretty much everywhere but you need to ask around in place where you live.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I am from Ukraine and i work on European factory. We are adhere to Ukrainian, European and internal standards. I plan to develop an internal standard for the integration of industrial robots, to do this, I need to find all possible world standards and make one common which will take into account everything, especially the points of robot safety.

As far as I understand from what I found on the internet, the basic standards for robots in Europe are:

- EN 12100

- EN ISO 10218-2

I am interested in requirements that are not spelled out in the standards, but customers still require them, as in your example with automotive companies. (Even if these requirements seem unnecessary)

For example:

- What package of documents usually provide integrator after

installation?

- Do customers looking for certified integrator who have completed

certain courses for programming or it is usually not necessarily?

- What types of security are commonly used? Light

barrier/fence/other?

- As usually used robot independently or with PLC? (As far as I know,

robots have their inputs and outputs which can be used for simple

projects)

- Which manufacturer of external axes is usually chosen? Same as

robot manufacturer for cell or other company?

- Are there any requirements for the robot tool?

- Are there any requirements for the programmed speed of the robot?

- What data must be obtained in order to easily maintenance and

adjust the program (if we need it in future)?

- Who usually develops the concept for integration? Customer or

integrator?

- Etc.

Also what need to pay attention to after installing and configuring the robot. What need to check?

I understand that need to check some basic things such as:

- Security system operation

- Integrity of equipment

- Full movement of the work axes and stop at the limits

- Complete set of a cell

What else can be checked?

I understand that these questions may seem simple to you which do not require explanation, but remind I have just started to study this topic and all this is still new to me. :winking_face:

Thank you.

• If You want a practical example from automotive industry, You can try to find GM Global Standard, mainly the documents nammed GRS-x, where GRS stands for Global Robotics Specification (or something like this). And since this is copyrighted information, please don't ask for this here in the forum.

But You need to have in mind that:

- automakers are using industrial robots since its inception, and they have a huge number of robots running at their plants. So they have very deep and specific requirements on the subject, that can be an overkill for other companies.

- GM, in the case, only uses a custom version of FANUC robots on most of its plants, and its standards are built over this specific brand.

The main question here is: is just You that are new to robotics, or Your company never used robots as well? Because, if You have robots at Your company, You can take the "lessons learned" on these previous projects as the base of Your standard.

But I will give my two cents here, on a more broad spectrum: EOAT payloads.

Lots of companies doesn't pay attention to this subject, what can rapidly escalate to a real nighmare in some situations.

So You, as the customer, must require that integrator check and validate theorethical and real payloads, for each robot and for each carried tool (or carried tool + product, if is the case). Most robot brands provide some kind of software to check at leat theorethical payload data. To check real payload data, You need to buy separated robot software option, and there are some other needs, as free space to make a robot perform a pendulum test, for example.

• Thanks for the answer, we are only start work with robots.

• KovBo

For most of your questions answer is Yes.

Robot integrator should pay attention to robot,its environment, safety and so on...

I will share piece of advise:

Don't underestimate influence of technology on difficulty level of robot integration. Even simple pick and place or palletisation can became nightmare if you ignore role of mechanics and basic physics. For example 20kg bag of charcoal and 20 kg bag of sugar, are different tasks.

Always double check fixing robot to the ground. 2mm backlash with 2m long robot arm ends with at least 2 cm of missed position.

There are no impossibles, there are only possibles waiting to be found.

Advertising from our partners