WoV will not open the solution for old software version. Need to commission new robot in it's place. 8.2.14 to 8.6.8

• v8.2.14, KRC4, KR16-2 need to open in WoV to convert or copy the configuration of network and peripherals to be duplicated in a new cell with v8.6.8, KRC4, KR16 R1610-2 SEL

Now I am on the floor in front of the new cell which was the subject of my previous thread.

In talking to applications at Kuka while attempting to be prepared for this commissioning, we were lead to believe that with the correct versions of WoV we would be able to open and view/ up convert the configuration of the old system to load in to the new controller.

If this is the case the ground work for the new cell would only require setting up the new profinet block and test/debug of the gripper and external inputs from the cell saving us valuable time in getting the new system off the ground and ready to teach points and build/test the safety zones.

The old cell and the new cell are physically identical, and the components are new versions of the old ones addressed identically in the PLC.

The path we were lead to believe would lay the ground work and net a usable configuration of the robot was opening the WoV solution from the original machine (8.2.14) and converting it to WoV v3.0, then to WoV v4.0

• Now I am on the floor in front of the new cell which was the subject of my previous thread.

And that thread was? Don't expect people to remember, or go searching for it -- if there is important information in that thread, link to it.

The path we were lead to believe would lay the ground work and net a usable configuration of the robot was opening the WoV solution from the original machine (8.2.14) and converting it to WoV v3.0, then to WoV v4.0

And? I don't see a statement of an issue, here.

Assuming that you're having problems opening the old WoV project, what problems are you having? At what stage of the process? What are the actual error messages? What are the critical items you need to copy from the old project to the new project, and what elements are not critical?

I just ran a quick test, opening an old KSS 8.2 project (created with WoV 2.x, IIRC) directly in WoV 6, and it worked without any apparent issues.

• I am not aware of wov feature that can convert project from one KSS to another. Changing KSS version in wov project simply edits one label and that is USUALLY good enough when both KSS are same major version. But even then there can be problems. The only reliable way that i know of is to rebuild project. OR.. start with working project from target machine, then import and if needed adapt programs and configurations yourself.

Changing major version means different mada and all catalog elements are needed. IO configuration will also need to be rebuilt etc. I have done just that many many times, often from scratch. There is no free lunch, you need to roll up the sleeves or find someone to do this for you

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I am not aware of wov feature that can convert project from one KSS to another. Changing KSS version in wov project simply edits one label and that is USUALLY good enough when both KSS are same major version. But even then there can be problems. The only reliable way that i know of is to rebuild project. OR.. start with working project from target machine, then import and if needed adapt programs and configurations yourself.

Changing major version means different mada and all catalog elements are needed. IO configuration will also need to be rebuilt etc. I have done just that many many times, often from scratch. There is no free lunch, you need to roll up the sleeves or find someone to do this for you

OK, the WoV solution from the old machine is corrupted and basically useless to me at this point unless someone is savy with the error report and would lead me on the path of riteness. I have the archive and will be doing as much as possible to keep the programs the same so that the technicians at the plant see essentially the same thing on each pendant.

FWIW the original thread is here KSS 8.2.14 to KSS 8.6: program instruction compatability

We would like to copy the IO structure from the old system as well as use the same programs in the new machine. The goal is to have both cells look as identical as possible from the pendant.

I have ripped my sleeves off; probably going to need them as sweat rags next week!

Thanks for the quick replies and insight. Forgive me, for I am most familiar with Fanuc. This is a different beast, no doubt.

• How the old WoV project was obtained?

I remember in the WoV 2.x days that robot backups made through network would bring apparently corrupted projects.

When trying open these projects on WoV, you would get an error, and project won"t be opened. But if You check on the projetc folder, there would be a copy of the corrupted project, with the _bak suffix attached to its name, and this project would open correctly.

• How the old WoV project was obtained?

I remember in the WoV 2.x days that robot backups made through network would bring apparently corrupted projects.

When trying open these projects on WoV, you would get an error, and project won"t be opened. But if You check on the projetc folder, there would be a copy of the corrupted project, with the _bak suffix attached to its name, and this project would open correctly.

The WoV solution I have is from the last archive that was taken of the original controller. I will definitely dig in to that!

• Another tip with old WoV projects:

Don't open them directly from the zipped Archive, double clicking in the Windows Explorer.

Instead, extract it, prefeably in the WoV Projects folder, and open it from there.

• as for project version upgrade:

1. start with current working project from new machine (KSS8.6 or whatever)

2. create IO configuration that matches old project. (do NOT try to import old IO config or mapping, format is not the same)

3. save WoV project with new file name.

4. deploy it and test IO.

5. if ok add programs from old robot

6. import tools, bases, loads, any workspaces etc.

7. adapt programs as needed. for example inline form instructions will work but... if you click on Change and CmdOk, it will be converted to newer format. This will need to be done for each ILF instruction and that is where it is better to this kind of work offline using FNR.EXE or editor to do a search and replace.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners