Position Configurations and how to change them.

• One of the FANUC robots that I have worked on is having a strange case.

Someone had tampered somewhere within the system and somehow the default position configuration is changed from NUT000 to NUT00-1.

From what I understand about the configurations by reading and watching the videos, is that you can change them for each position while you are programming, as required.

So, what is happening is, that the programs in the robot have not been changed and the points have the NUT000 configuration when checked in line. But when you look at the Actual Position of the robot in Menu>Position, the World frame shows that the Robot is using NUT00-1. And when you run the program, the robot should move the 6th joint 90deg clockwise to the next position but it's actually taking the counter-clockwise route to reach there. All joint points are affected and Linear ones are unaffected.

When I checked the $CONFIG_MASK variable in $SCR_GRP[1] to compare it with another robot which actually has the NUT000 config, the values are identical. I am guessing I will have to change CONFIG_TURN_NO3 in the $CONFIG_MASK option but I am worried about how it may change the system or affect the existing programs.

So, I want help to find out if there's a way to change this configuration system-wide or should I have to live with it and touch up every position on the program?

PFA some images for reference. I made a collage of all things that I said here.

• When you are editing the point data you can press F3 CNF. That will let you modify the configuration string of the point. Be careful when you attempt to move to it, the robot will move the TCP to the same cartesian position with a different arm configuration and could crash into itself.

• That is really odd. It goes to the positions correctly, but just with the wrong config every time? I wonder if they managed to master J6 slightly out.

Ideally I would try to find an old backup before they messed with it, and take a current backup, then run a diff on the system vars. I don't think the answer is in $CONFIG_MASK, going by its description below.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• When you are editing the point data you can press F3 CNF. That will let you modify the configuration string of the point. Be careful when you attempt to move to it, the robot will move the TCP to the same cartesian position with a different arm configuration and could crash into itself.

Thanks for replying, you guys but I am aware of modifying the configuration string. I was in search of overall conversion, system-wide so that I don't have to do this for every point.

That is really odd. It goes to the positions correctly, but just with the wrong config every time? I wonder if they managed to master J6 slightly out.

Ideally I would try to find an old backup before they messed with it, and take a current backup, then run a diff on the system vars. I don't think the answer is in $CONFIG_MASK, going by its description below.

It is possible that they might have mastered the J6 that way. Who knows. It's too late, now that I have told them to touch up the program wherever required. Because we had a really old backup and the program was modified multiple times after that.

But it bothers me how such a thing can happen and that there's no explanation I could find.

PS, Nation, your tool sounds amazing. I will definitely try it and give feedback. Where can I find more such tools related to programming? I am so intrigued by this community.

• Thanks for replying, you guys but I am aware of modifying the configuration string. I was in search of overall conversion, system-wide so that I don't have to do this for every point.

If you have the ASCII upload Option or Roboguide you could save your programs as.LS and edit all the point configurations in the program footer in a text editor. This would probably save you some time versus editing everything on the pendant.

Advertising from our partners