How to start a program from a remote pc

• Our team is working on a robot related softwares and we have to test it with several different robot arms. We want to automate the test, so that when we execute a command on our pc, signal sent through Ethernet to Fanuc robot, and then start to execute a specified program which is already stored in the robot controller. We are unfamiliar with Fanuc. Would you tell me if it’s possible and how should I do that, If it’s possible?

• What version of controller?

The simplest and cheapest way that I can think of would to issue KCL commands over TELNET. On the robot you will have to assign a password for the KCL user, and set $RMT_MASTER to 2. On the pc side of things, you can use a terminal emulator such as Tera Term, or simply enable it on Windows and use the command prompt or PowerShell.

It's VERY old school, but it works on every Fanuc robot I've ever come across that is RJ3 and newer.

Please don't forget, starting a robot remotely can be very dangerous if the proper safeguarding is not in place. It is imperative that a fence and external E-Stop circuit be properly installed before remotely starting a robot.

• Thank you for you reply. Would you explain it in more detail? We are using R-30ib mate controller and we want to control it from a linux pc. Here's what we want to do.

1. turn on the cycle start

2. start the specified program

Thanks in advance.

• Thank you for you reply. Would you explain it in more detail? We are using R-30ib mate controller and we want to control it from a linux pc. Here's what we want to do.

1. turn on the cycle start

2. start the specified program

Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about using the UOP's? UOP's are generally controlled either from a hard wired input or a field bus such as Ethernet/IP, Profinet, Modbus, etc. If you want to go that route you will have to purchase the software and hardware to communicate that way.

If you want to just send commands over standard ethernet, you will either need the socket messaging software option along with Karel, or you can directly send KCL commands over Telnet.

The KCL commands are documented in the Karel reference manual.

Telnet, and other protocols, are documented in the Internet Options Setup and Operations Manual.

KCL over Telnet will accomplish what you've stated you are trying to do. That being said, it is not what I would call a long term automation solution. It is great though for testing, which is what you stated you were doing in your first post.

• Thanks for your answer. I can access the robot controller through telnet now. I can see the content of a program using SHOW PROGRAM command, but I still cant run the program.

Before that I did following settings.

1. switch the controller to auto mode.

2. set $RMT_MASTER to 2

3. set robot to remote mode

Is there any other settings I should try?

• You should read Appendix C of the Karel Reference Manual.

C.52 specifically

RUN command

Syntax: RUN < prog_name >

where: prog_name = any KAREL or TP program

HOLD and ABORT are two other important commands

But really. Read that part of the manual. There are 103 different commands.

Advertising from our partners