Trying to get old Robot working, but robot stops are stuck on

• Hello everyone. I am apart of a senior design group that is trying to use a 20-year-old controller and robot but have never done this before and are running into some issues so I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me cause the companies who made this aren't able to help at all.

So we have gotten a hold of of a teaching pendant, controller, and robot that Denso Robotics Japan and Yaskawa Motoman made together back in the early 2000s. We have not been able to get ahold of a manual for the controller but supposedly it is equivalent to an RC5. It runs Wincaps II 1.985 which we have not been able to get ahold of and are currently only able to program/interact through a free trial of Wincaps II and directly through the controller with a keyboard with a ps2 connection (the mouse does not work for some reason).

The controller is "ERCJ-HME4BA-BN" and the robot is a "HM-40853E2M" and is a type a configuration. The teaching pendant is "ERCJ-PP-1".

Neither Denso or Yaskawa have been able to help and say it's the other company's problem. We have managed to get the robot connected and powered and retrieved data from it. We have calset the encoders and the fuses, e-stops, et cetera seem to be fine. However, we still have a robot stop preventing us from being able to turn on the motors and we aren't sure how to get it to move. This is the first time any of us have worked on a scara robot and I'm sure we aren't aware of something so I was hoping someone could help.

I think the only thing we don't know is Denso said we might need to attach some sort of safety hardware to make it think the robot stop is closed.

This is kind of a last shot for me for finding information and I have never used this forum so if I am drastically in the wrong place or anything please let me know.

• What is the message?
    You said you checked E-stops, but only on the teach pendant and the controller itself?
    I believe on the controller there is a slot for wiring "Output/E-Stop". If you do not have an E-stop wired to that, that may be the issue.

• you are not telling where the robot is so one cannot recommend you someone closer by.

doing first time startup on a 20 year old system with no documentation is a perfect way to ruin project. if you cannot get someone familiar with the system to show up, test it and confirm what is going on, this is to be considered a dead end or you are going to wait really really long time. i would say sell it and go for a new(er) one with proper support.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• What is the message?
    You said you checked E-stops, but only on the teach pendant and the controller itself?
    I believe on the controller there is a slot for wiring "Output/E-Stop". If you do not have an E-stop wired to that, that may be the issue.

Love your profile pic btw.

The message was error 6008 I believe which is “robot stop on”. There is an output/estop spot with nothing wired to it at the moment. How do I wire that to make it work?

• you are not telling where the robot is so one cannot recommend you someone closer by.

doing first time startup on a 20 year old system with no documentation is a perfect way to ruin project. if you cannot get someone familiar with the system to show up, test it and confirm what is going on, this is to be considered a dead end or you are going to wait really really long time. i would say sell it and go for a new(er) one with proper support.

We dont really have the option to sell and get a newer one, we’re located in Asheville, nc. We are sure it’s a robot stop issue. It is definitely not a great way to do our project, just was the route we had to take at the time. We’re only students and the advisers didn’t give much options.

• in that case lean on manufacturers for documentation. This site has Motoman subforum and i am sure someone will have the manuals. Not sure if they can be shared but there should be someone able to help with this.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• The message was error 6008 I believe which is “robot stop on”. There is an output/estop spot with nothing wired to it at the moment. How do I wire that to make it work?

Than that would be the first thing to start with. As panic mode mentioned, you need documentation; without it, and without prior knowledge, there is not much you can do.

Perhaps if you at least have the electrical diagram for the controller, then at least that would be the first step to wiring safety to the controller.

What about afterwards, i.e. do you know how to program the robot? **Documentation!

• in that case lean on manufactures for documentation. This site has Motoman subforum and i am sure someone will have the manuals. Mot sure if they can be shared but there should be someone able to help with this.

When you say manufacturers do you mean motoman and denso themselves? Cause neither of them have any documentation or manuals. Hopefully someone on here might so I will try on the subforum.

Than that would be the first thing to start with. As panic mode mentioned, you need documentation; without it, and without prior knowledge, there is not much you can do.

Perhaps if you at least have the electrical diagram for the controller, then at least that would be the first step to wiring safety to the controller.

What about afterwards, i.e. do you know how to program the robot? **Documentation!

We know how to program it, just don't have a way to start the bot moving due to the robot stop. We also were told by denso that the controller is supposedly equivalent to a RC5 and that's about it for now.

• Not that I have experience with a robot of that type. But I think it would be better to post a picture of the equipment, may be an old member in the forum remembers if he see the pictures.

• hermann Thanks for the "old" reference and yes, a pic of the controller front may indeed help.

Uploaded a couple of HM-G manuals to the Denso board that might help once it runs.

The only time I worked with an RC5, it came with and was returned with a full set of manuals - no PDFs.

It was a benchtop model and easy to mockup (with the manuals).

Someone on the Denso Robot Forum board may be able to help with the RC5 connections if this post moves there.

• Hello

You actually have a Denso RC5 controller, even though the brand is a Yaskawa.

All parts and accessories are interchangeable, including the learning console.

To make your robot work you need to prepare a box like the one in the picture.

The box has an emergency stop button with TWO independent contactors (but activated at the same time by that same button) in a normally closed state (when you press the red button each of the two circuits is open and the robot stops) and a key switch to activate between manual mode or automatic mode of the robot. The green button is inactive.

The red button is used to short-circuit the emergency stops of the controller.

These contacts are on the 64-pin CN10 connector, and for this you will need a suitable connector (I buy them from Misumi America, htpps:\\us.misumi-ec.com) although you can also buy them on Ebay, They are easy to find .

Seen the connector from the side of the cables (from where you must solder the cables of the emergency stop button) you must make the installation to be able to short (connect one pin with the other) through the contactors of the box the following pins: 63-64 (third pin of the third row from the right with third pin of the fourth row from the right) and 65-66 (second pin of the third row from the right with the second pin of the fourth row from the right). the right).

You will also need a male DB9 connector for the CN7 I/O Power Source connector.

Seen from the side of the cables, you must make a jumper between the pins as you can see in the photos.

If all went well, this will enable you to activate the motors, but you will not be able to run any programs in automatic momo.

To be able to select between manual or automatic mode you need a third 50-pin connector for connector CN8 of the controller.

This connector is the same type as the previous 68-pin connector, but naturally shorter.

With the key switch you must short-circuit pins 3 and 4 of the connector (seen from the cable side) which are the second pin of the first row from the left and the second pin of the second row from the left) .

When you connect both pins the controller goes into auto mode, and when you unplug them (opens the circuit) the controller goes into manual or learn mode (as you choose).

If after trying it you can't get it to work properly, don't hesitate to contact me again.

I have a robot just like yours and if you need it I could sell you a mini-teach pendant in good condition.

Lastly, please excuse my English. It is a Google translation because I am writing to you from Spain and I do not speak your language.

A greeting and good luck.

• Segovia I am very happy to find you in this thread

I have problem with RC5 controller,

After finish booting, teach pendant stuck on loading project process

have you encountered a similar problem?

Thanks

• Hello Rizki

I've had a few problems that are probably like yours, but I'm not sure.

In order to help you with that I need more information.

Please, can you send a picture of the display of the teach pendant?

On the other hand, when the controller freezes, does it let you continue with other tasks or do all the buttons and functions become unresponsive?

With the controller locked, can you access other features?

I need more details.

I await your news.

All the best.

• Hello Segovia, thanks for your reply

this is image when controller finish booting

but now this problem has been solved,

the problem comes from the connection between relay on the backside with J17 connector on PSU unit,

and continue to connection between J3 on PSU with J9 on CPU Unit.

And now, i have problem with alarm "60B2 > J2 current offset failure" :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

i think J2 servo drive (IPM Unit) broken

Edited 3 times, last by rizki ().

• sorry, I don't understand how to upload an image on this forum,

I have tried to enter the image link, but the image does not appear

• Click the Attachments tab below, then drag the picture file into this box. It will turn green while saying "Drop now to Upload" Keeping with the starting theme of this thread, here's a pic of a used S4C robot refurbed & sold 20 yrs ago.

Advertising from our partners