OfficeLite cannot run because of performance counter?

• solved...

opened VM settings, clicked on Processors and unchecked Virtualize CPU performance counters

don't remember ever touching that but it seem to fix the issue.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• My laptop has 8 cores (i7 CPU).

One core is set aside for Beckhoff runtime. I assigned different number of CPU cores to OL depending on type of work and workload at the moment. 3 CPU cores were assigned long long ago. suddenly, vmware decided to complain about this.

Btw. "performance counter" is is a software counter. it is a feature used for debugging. Basically it is what you see when you open task manager and look at processes. And I was implementing them in some of my own .NET projects to monitor performance of my creations. For example in case of HMI it would be used to keep track of threads, DB transactions, Modbus and EKI messages, RFID etc. nothing too fancy, one can also use command line to play with them. So i know very well what performance counters are and how to use them. also i did not change any vmware settings in very long time. this is the first time i see this message.

as mentioned, turning off the checkbox solved the issue.

Dzonzi, Last time i had server based OL license was when i working at KUKA. but that was always a pain and even while i was there i would have the license transferred to my machine (borough). now i am the only one using the OL so my license is file based. makes things simple.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• panic mode:

you should use the settings provided by kuka!

If you add new software like beckhoff runtime it would be better to use a different vm.

I also know that OL has problems with some cpu's.

What vmware version are you using at the moment and what OS is your host system?

Having Windows 10 and Vmware V15.1 OL is working fine, having the same Windows 10 and Vmware 15.5 or higher OL is not working anymore!

To me:

Vmware changed something and is not willing to support their customers to solve the problem!

(they also did it with vmware V10 - kuka had to solve the problem - making changes to BSP)

Result:

No wonder why kuka changed from vmware to another solution with versions starting of later versions of KSS8.6.OL

• i should not have even mentioned Beckhoff... that software is installed on my laptop Host OS, not inside VM. and if it was VM it would definitely be separate VM, not the one used by OL.

about using settings provided by KUKA... i see them more as a suggestion.

i think i changed it to 3 when trying to demonstrate ability to run two instances of OL running at the same time, and with only 7 CPU cores remaining one of the OLs had to be mutilated.

as mentioned i consider the issue is solved after that checkmark was cleared.

the thing is it is something that worked for years, i made no recent change and was unclear why it would complain about it - now. but it works again and that's all that matters.

i guess it must be one of the stupid updates over the weekend and of course it is the Monday morning that things no longer work as expected.

if it gives me grief again, i will probably just start from initial clean OL image, upgrade KSS, load my settings and call it a day. i do install some software inside VM but always lightweight.

this OL is running KSS8.5.8 on vmware 15.1.0 build-13591040 running on Win10.

3) read 1 and 2

• Once I gave a training course in the USA and demonstrated that all KUKA OL versions could run at the same time on my pc:

- KUKA.4.1.OL

- KUKA.5.X.OL

- KUKA.8.3.OL

- KUKA.8.5.OL

and all of them worked

(Problem KSS V8.2.OL => newbies)

I was running KSS8.5.5 on my machine! => so, check difference using BSP (Board Support Package?)

What versions you are running at the moment?

In europe we have the windows updates on tuesdays

• about using settings provided by KUKA... i see them more as a suggestion.

Starting with KSS V8.x OL is part of the party!

In the previous versions OL was something complete different:

- same HMI

- special version of base system

Now:

-same HMI

-same base system (difference cabinet (real robot), office pc (real hardware without robot) and ...

If you have any questions: gugge me mol

• i used to have 5.6, 8.2 and 8.3 as i was often doing support, training etc.

now i only have 8.5. and since KUKA began releasing new major version increasingly more frequently the licensing is not good. i really want license to run any OL or at least any of the recent ones since they seem to come in tandems (8.6/8.7).

supposedly there is something of that sorts and i was promised more info and a quote. i just reminded him few days ago but - i am still waiting...

i was getting them at random times and complained about it to our IT. now my machine is doing updates on Saturdays at 8PM.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners