Missing board kawasaki

• hi guys,

I brought this fs20 kawasaki robot.

After i brought it and paid for it the previous owner stated it was missing a board, what a lovely surprise.

I cant see any plugs left unplugged or anything that looks like its missing other than the pendant.

I think im able to find a new pendant but i don't really want to splash the cash on one if their is something major missing.

Can anyone see something missing? Am i able to connect it up to my pc and get errors?

Sorry for the basic questions but im in a bit of a pickle

• A standard C controller card rack should consist of:

- 1x AVR (dedicated slot).

- 1x 1GA/1HA CPU board (dedicated slot).

- 1x 1HP Power sequence board (dedicated slot).

- 1x 1GW/HW Input, Output board (any slot x no).

Your picture looks to fulfil the above. :top:

In addition to this, the other boards that are usually supplied outside of the card rack are:

- 1x 1HY Safety relay board - Back left side

- 1x Power Block with 1x 1GB servo board fitted.

Without the teach pendant connected will permanently place the controller in emergency stop condition (not an error) and therefore will prevent ANY motion of any of the connected joints. This will not prevent the controller from powering up.

I would use KCWin32 and RS232 suitable cable and connect to controller and then open application and then power up controller, you should see initial boot screen, communication messages sent out from the controller during boot up.

This would be a first test and the create a full file save from the get go........

Goto here to download the applications:

Kawasaki Online Terminal Editors - Manuals, Software and Tools for Kawasaki Robots - Robotforum - Support and discussion community for industrial robots and cobots (robot-forum.com)

If the controller fails to power up, it is possible TB2 terminal is not configured correctly, so that would need looking at if things do not 'come alive'.

• thank you so much for the reply. I have powered the box up once but as you said it didnt do much.

I shall download the software and make up a cable.

There is this sticker on it and ive found a pendant on ebay but they both show as being missing the memory module /ram cards so assuming that they wont work for me

Are there any other photos that i can take or other things to test after i test the software?

Thanks again

• You should really do some research before buying 2nd user Industrial Robots, especially when the items you are buying are no longer supported, limited spares not via the OEM and when the seller is selling it as incomplete too.

Saying that you may be lucky as Kawasaki are known for their longevity, so let's hope between 1000 and 2000 of those little notes can yield a working system.........Caveat Emptor.

I have powered the box up once but as you said it didnt do much

What did you expect to happen?

With the C controller you have 2 pendants available:

- MFP

- Small version pendant (for which you pictured).

The MFP looks like the following and can be used as an alternative:

KAWASAKI 50817-1281 Robot Teach Pendant Multi Function - Cnc-Shop (cnc-shopping.co.uk)

You could try and cut a deal with the member of the following thread:

Kawasaki robot controller C , teach pendant and cables - Used Robots and parts - Robotforum - Support and discussion community for industrial robots and cobots (robot-forum.com)

However be warned, the teach pendant software NEEDS to be compatible with the installed AS firmware, or else you will only have access to the keyboard screen.

Are there any other photos that i can take or other things to test after i test the software?

Of course there are, but without any teach pendant just what do you want to do with it?

TB2 needs to be configured so that the robot can be used - a picture of that may help.

Without a teach pendant, you do not have the ability to release emergency stop condition.

Even using a dummy plug to link out the emergency stop signals on the teach pendant connector to the controller will not allow you to test it easily, especially as you have no means of manually using it safely.

I suggest looking at the following thread and do some reading:

C-Series Documentation & Manuals - Manuals, Software and Tools for Kawasaki Robots - Robotforum - Support and discussion community for industrial robots and cobots (robot-forum.com)

Especially posts #6, #9, #12 and #13.

A suitable teach pendant is a 'must have' for the C controller.

So really this needs to be sourced in order to progress with it.

• You are correct i definitely should have done more research, i unfortunately took the word of the seller who said you can program and use it via computer only (not so much the case as it seems)

The intent for the robot a fs20n with 50 hours on it is to load and unload small pallets onto our 4th axis mill.

The idea is to make and create a universal pallet that once programmed i dont have to reprogram the robot but will instead change the cad on the mill to suit.

I dont mind buying a pendant but would rather not if i end up "butchering" the robot with an external controller to be able to get it to do what i need it to do. Which is my absolute last resort but for what i have into the robot could still be viable.

• i unfortunately took the word of the seller who said you can program and use it via computer only (not so much the case as it seems)

The seller is exactly correct and a comment that comes from someone that likely is to be very experienced with Kawasaki.

The application you are referring to is exactly what the robot can achieve with or without a pendant.

From a newcomers perspective, would require 'some minimal experience' with Kawasaki to say the least.

There are many scenarios that do not require a teach pendant, but more scenarios where you would require a teach pendant.

It'll make things easier in the long run and it assists with learning how to use the Kawasaki and should any maintenance be required, errors occur, manual recovery, checking or testing be required, then a teach pendant will easily assist in all aspects of this.

To just throw commands, programs into a robot using a PC and expect everything to work as expected with zero appreciation of a simple 'typing error' that could result in damage, harm, injury or worse is a little too naïve for me (IMHO).

Entirely up to you how to proceed, but in my opinion, the benefits of a teach pendant, far out way the reasons to not have one.

• What is the C Controller Model no a Cxx?

A file save obtained via RS232 will contain all required firmware references in order to cross reference correct one.

Kawasaki write the AS, SV and TP firmware revisions on inside of cabinet door, but that may not be same as what is installed now, as someone may have changed it, but not updated sheet on inside of door.

So recent file save is better to use for current references.

To load replacement firmware, you would require you to have PCMCIA card to load data in.

PCMCIA cards can only be between 8Mb and 32Mb for C controller, and very picky which are compatible.

Best compatibility are SanDisk, Canon which are hard to find now.

The following thread contains images of PCMCIA compatibility.

Kawasaki robot motor not turning on. - Page 2 - Kawasaki Robot Forum - Robotforum - Support and discussion community for industrial robots and cobots (robot-forum.com)

• What is the C Controller Model no a Cxx?

The values written on the door are back from 2002 when it is made, and may not reflect what is currently installed.

So a file save is required to ensure 'what is currently installed'.

Advertising from our partners