Battery change/replacement on FANUC CRX 10iA/L

• Hi,

Has anybody ever gotten to the point of changing the batteries for keeping the mastering on the CRX-series? I have a robot that gives me the BLAL-alarm and batteries are on their way.

According to the manual, you have to remove the six bolts from the socket and then remove the cover. But the cover is stuck to robot as if it has been casted in one piece.

Does anyone have experience with removing this cover without damage?

Kind regards,

Gynther

Automation Engineer

• First, it sounds like you may not have done this before. Make sure to never open the compartment or change the batteries with the power off. Sorry if you already know that, but it's the number one mistake people make the first time they change the batteries.

Second, when you say they are on order, please know that they are just regular industrial alkaline batteries. There's no need to get them from Fanuc, unless you want to pay their prices.

• Hi pdl,

The robot is a loaner through FANUC for a current project - that we probably will buy. Therefore, the batteries are send through FANUC and covered by FANUC.

The batteries for the CRX are not like the 'regular' industrial robots from FANUC. It is two AA batteries soldered together with a connection - and these are not regular available. At least, not in my part of Europe.

Do you have any tricks on getting the cover off? FANUC replied, that I should try with a wedge made of plastic or wood. They do recognize, that the cover can get quite stuck to the gasket.

Kind regards,

Gynther

Automation Engineer

• Probably just the gasket sticking. Wiggle and work it loose or gently pry it off.

Yeah, FANUC recognized the issue. They recommend using a wedge of plastic or wood. Do you have any tips or trick to get it off without damage?

Kind regards,

Gynther

Automation Engineer

• Hi everybody,

I used a wood wedge and gave the cover a proper blow from a tilted angle and it flew right off.
    Remember to lay some cardboard or similar under. Otherwise, the cover will receive some damage.

Thank you for your answers.

Kind regards,

Gynther

Automation Engineer

• Hello Gynther,

I will assume that by now, that cover has safely come off, and the batteries have been replaced.

In the event that anyone else struggles to remove the cover in the future. A rubber mallet did the magic for me. Strick gently around the area of the bolts, on the sides, and ! Voila! (well, not that gently)

The batteries are special batteries that hold the memory of the encoder. Each battery holds memory data on 3 axes. Yes, as it has been stressed in this thread, do not replace batteries while power is off. You will lose all your position data and likely have to remaster and reteach the robot.

Advertising from our partners