Integrated Vision - Camera on private network

• We have an application where there is a Cognex camera located on the public network side of the robot. We purchased the Integrated Vision option, but I am struggling to get the robot controller to communicate with the camera. I have been able to create vision jobs and configure the camera using the vision tab in RobotStudio without issue. The problem I am seeing is when I try to run my code in RAPID there is an error saying it can't connect to the robot. After talking to support, they told me that the camera can only be connected on the service network(192.168.125.1) and not the public one. Is this true? Have any of you all had sucess connecting to a camera on the public network?

• We have an application where there is a Cognex camera located on the public network side of the robot. We purchased the Integrated Vision option, but I am struggling to get the robot controller to communicate with the camera. I have been able to create vision jobs and configure the camera using the vision tab in RobotStudio without issue. The problem I am seeing is when I try to run my code in RAPID there is an error saying it can't connect to the robot. After talking to support, they told me that the camera can only be connected on the service network(192.168.125.1) and not the public one. Is this true? Have any of you all had sucess connecting to a camera on the public network?

Did you make the connection and system settings according to the integration vision document?

Think before you talk, Read it before you think about it.

Fran Lebowitz.

• The Integrated Vision document leaves much to be desired when it comes to details on connecting the system. I pushed ABB a little more and they said it is not possible. The camera must be on the private network.

• The Integrated Vision document leaves much to be desired when it comes to details on connecting the system. I pushed ABB a little more and they said it is not possible. The camera must be on the private network.

Yeah, the network details really need more... detail.

I recently had some "modified" IRC5s come in that had the IV cameras on the WAN port, along with other network mis-wiring. Took a while to fix. One thing that doesn't help is that the IV workspace in RobotStudio (which is really just a modified copy of Cognex InSight Explorer) will find any Cognex camera (and the ABB IV cameras are just modified Cognex InSights) on any network it can reach. But the actual RAPID vision tools will only look on the Private network (the yellow Service port on the main computer).

So one part of the software will make it look like everything is fine, when in fact the cameras are connected to the wrong ethernet port on the IRC5.

• Yeah, the network details really need more... detail.

I recently had some "modified" IRC5s come in that had the IV cameras on the WAN port, along with other network mis-wiring. Took a while to fix. One thing that doesn't help is that the IV workspace in RobotStudio (which is really just a modified copy of Cognex InSight Explorer) will find any Cognex camera (and the ABB IV cameras are just modified Cognex InSights) on any network it can reach. But the actual RAPID vision tools will only look on the Private network (the yellow Service port on the main computer).

So one part of the software will make it look like everything is fine, when in fact the cameras are connected to the wrong ethernet port on the IRC5.

Yes, this is exactly what I was experiencing.

I like the IV option so far; it makes adding cameras to a robot intuitive but requiring the cameras to be on the private network is a drawback.

Advertising from our partners