KCP Cable Kuka KRC2

• Hi everyone,

We have a robot kuka KRC2, we ordered a 30m cable to be made (CABLE KCP) but it didn't show an image in KCP. I know the problem isn't the KCP because we have another cable and it works!

The cable distance can be the problem? If yes, what the max distance to this cable?

I checked the wiring and looks like is correct.

• if you have two cables, one works and the other does not...

you compare them but find no difference, so obviously your testing methodology is not correct or sophisticated enough. so to know where you made mistake we need to know what exactly you tested and how. because that was not correct or sufficient to conclude the test.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• well i could see it... 30m or 100ft long VGA cables do exist such as this. but that is just cable for VGA signal.

there are going to be some challenges in case of a custom solutions for KCP. this means use of cable that can transmit for different types of signal and power. i see nothing to assure signal integrity, voltage drop etc.

so far the only two checks are mentioned:

a) "I checked the wiring and looks like is correct" what ever that may mean.

b) using measure tape to confirm cable length.

there is no mention of cable type, construction, assembly, workmanship etc.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• The other cable is also 30m long?

No, the other cable is 10m long.

there is no mention of cable type, construction, assembly, workmanship etc.

The whole cable was split in two, one just for the VGA with a larger section.

The cable section is larger than the original.

The cable connection diagram was copied from the cable which is working normally.

I dont know if make sense what i wrote because i'm using google translate

• no idea what that means.

"the whole cable is split in two" - does that mean that your extension is not a single cable but assembly of two or more cables?

"cable section is larger" - does it mean "longer" or different cable (larger cross section)?

"the cable connection diagram was copied" - copied HOW? do you know how to interpret wiring diagram correctly? this is a special cable with twisted pairs, shields etc. wiring such cable is a bit more complicated than making own power extension cord. type of cable matters.

3) read 1 and 2

• once upon a time had someone claim that reason he did poor on an interview was because of "all theoretical questions" even though all ware tailored to his own resume. so i asked him to hang in there for 5min.

the "challenge cable" and multimeter ware handed to him with a task to determine if the cable was straight through or crossover. of course his answers ware still catastrophic. so i asked him to open the connector hoods to see what he was dealing with.

3) read 1 and 2

• what do you mean?

just get schematics for your robot system and read it.

every KUKA system was delivered with full set of documentation if you no longer have yours, contact KUKA and ask for a copy and give them cabinet label.

there is a page showing what is on the inside of KRC X19. Your extension need to replicate that exactly.

Note that some of the wires are grouped in certain order.

And you can literally look inside cabinet too. You can see wire sizes, wire colors, which wires are twisted together, which group of wires is shielded together....

the zig-zag line above color label tells you pairs. So X19.A and X19.B wires must be from SAME pair. it is not enough to just get DC path from one end of the cable to another - that could be done with any wire in the cable but you must use the correct one.

Here is one version (aka "standard KRC2"):

3) read 1 and 2

• example of cable selection for this application.

very bad... this is not a twisted pair cable, only single overall shield available. this would cause severe signal degradation. does not seem to be rubber jacket so it would be ok for fixed installation (bring X19 closer) but not for flexing...

This is better (twisted pairs, individual shields plus overall shield) but still not good. Not enough of conductors (need at least 6 twisted pairs). may be too stiff...

also note that power wires are larger that others. in long cable you may want to increase this size or double the wires.

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi dudz, Panic is right with the provided information about cable structure.

I'd give you a couple of mechanical advices beside the electrical ones already mentioned.

1. If you're fitting the axis 2-6 of your Kuka robot, use a torsion cable, not just a flexible cable.

2. if you're using a kuka linear track, then you need a flexible cable for the cable carrier you must use.

3. The cable manufacturer igus, provides ready to connect kuka cables, assambled with the connector you need. This helps you saving assambling time, reduces cables storage and they come tested so you'd avoid the problem you mention here.

4. Most important part, this tool has helped me along the last three years with automation: https://echain-robot-equipment…gus.tools/start?l=en&c=En. I don't think there's a better way to prevent your robot cables from failing than this tool.

Advertising from our partners