Is it possible to run files from a USB stick instead of transferring them first?

• The Kuka I run is used exclusively for milling, which generates some ridiculously large files. It's a KRC2 controller running KSS5.4.14 - can I just select a header file that's on the USB stick, and run it from there? I'm having to split programs up a lot at the moment - the milling routine that it's running right now is split into six sets of files, because the available onboard space is so small - it won't let me upload more than 15 linked files - this current job breaks down into 48 files total.

I'm reluctant to just try it out, because I simply don't know if it's going to cause any readahead problems (or whatever the Kuka equivalent is) due to the slow USB bus speed - can anyone here verify if it would work?

• OK, so having just had a look at least to see if it's possible to even select a file to run from USB, even in Administrator mode it's not, so unless someone knows of a way to override that, I'll just continue under the assumption that it isn't possible.

• It is not possible. Programs are not run from harddisk (hosted by Windows) but from inside a VxWorks RTOS ramdisk. Harddisk would be much to slow for robot realtime feeding. So your program first needs to be downloaded into VxWorks. This happens when you copy it into the R1 folder you see on KUKA HMI. Actually everything you see in R1 folder on HMI is on VxWorks side. Only sometimes a synchronization with harddisk R1 folder is done. For example at system shutdown.

Fubini

Advertising from our partners