1/4 mig welds has porosity…

• I have a program that welds two inside welds and two outside welds on a part. The two inside welds always do great. They never get porosity. The two outsides ones, mainly one of them in the same spot every time at the start of the weld almost always has porosity. I’ve checked my gun angle, wire length, travel speed, wire speed, I have the correct gas hooked up, I’m at a loss. I managed to change the angle slightly and that seemed to produce one perfect part after 20 bad ones. Then, without changing anything, the very next one, that I assumed would follow suit and be perfect, had porosity in the same old spot… so confused…

• From my experience porosity is attributed to:

- Gas activation too late, consider advancing the gas activation ahead of weld start.

- Gas line leakages, reduction in flow due to blockages of spatter, hose pinching.

- Outside air currents influencing the current gas flow.

- Gas flow is set too high.

- Too much grease/oil on the weld surface reacting to the wire used.

- Fillet welds typically have better natural shielding over butt weld welds.

Check your gas supply services/hoses for restrictions/pinch points around the areas of concern.

Check the torch shroud is clean and free of any spatter from the previous welds, recommended to have a cleaning station used between welds.

I would consider changing the weld torch angle and weld direction of the outside welds (if possible).

What happens if you do the outside welds first.

Advertising from our partners