SpotWare Tip Wear compensation

• Well, I'm completely stuck. I'm using a brand new robot running RW 6.13, SpotWare 1.08, and UAF_SW 1.00.46.

I cannot get the Tip Wear compensation working properly, and I have no clue as to what I'm doing wrong. I followed the manual to the letter (as far as I can tell), but I have zero experience with SpotWare servo guns, so I can't rule out the possibility that I missed something obvious that everyone with ABB experience knows.

This robot touches off on a bar to measure the fixed-tip wear, then pulls away and closes the gun multiple times to measure the movable tip wear. I taught the fixed-tip TCP and bar-touch calibration position using new tips, as the manual prescribes. Load data has been set using the Load Identification tool. And the full Gun Calibration was carried out using TuneMaster and the robot's onboard setup wizard (I'm not sure if that's SpotWare or a UAF thing). And it worked fine, in the original installation.

After moving the robot to is production facility, everything was still working well, but I made a mistake and re-taught the bar-touch reference position with worn tips. Once I realized this, I put on brand-new tips, zero'd out the tip wear compensation values, and re-taught the reference position. But now, whenever I run a tip dress or tip change, the robot throws faults that the tip wear is out of tolerance. And I can't fix it. Even after re-doing the entire process with a new set of new tips.

After doing a tip dress, the robot will measure the fixed tip by touching the bar, and throws the wear tolerance fault, with 3 options: Accept, Ignore, Retry. I've tried them all, none of them seem to fix the issue. If I hit Accept, the robot will pull out, then close the gun several times to measure the moving-tip wear, and then throw a fatal fault that the movable tip wear is out of tolerance. This can only be Acknowledged.

I tried running the Tip Dress multiple times in a row, hitting Accept and Acknowledge on each error, and recording the wear values displayed at the end of the program. They appear to be "bouncing" back and forth across a large range:

Actual Wear Fixed Tip: 3.64 -3.37 3.69

Total Wear Fixed Tip: 7.5 4.13 7.82

Fixed Wear This Cut: 3.64 -3.37 3.69

Movable Wear This Cut: -2.91 3.62 -3.49

I really don't know how to troubleshoot this. I'm open to any suggestions.

• MeasureWearL, not Calib. And the Equalizer is pure software/robot motion.

I punted, and restored a backup from when the robot wasn't throwing these faults. So far it seems to be running all right, but I'm going to have to get the customer's in-house expert to check out the tip-wear measurement. There's some discussion that this robot may need to be changed to a laser sensor, rather than a force-detection contact with the reference bar.

Advertising from our partners