Some questions regarding connecting KUKA Robot with Beckoff PLC.

• Greetings everyone,

Firstly would like to thank all the helpful people out here. I have experiences with PLCs but fiest time incoorperating a robot into one of my machines.

I have a KUKA Robot and have to interface it to BECKOFF Twincat.I have gone through the system integrator manuals from this forum and am on my way to setup Autoexternal.

1) what is the optimal way to do this? (was not able to find specifics in the search bar)

2) i have been seeing MXautomation during my initial research and is this necessary?. There seems to be the autoexternal Function blocks in the package. any recommendations on how to setup communications efficiently.

3) in my KUKA programme i have total of 24 taught points and my PLC sends specific points to fill glue (e.g. 5/24) to the KUKA as an array. How would i be able to send a DWORD from the PLC to the robot controller. i have setup the coupler and 16 input/ output cards for communication.

your input is greatly appreciated guys.

Joe

• You should use a bus system like Profinet, ethernet/IP for connection.

Mx Automation is absolutely not necessary, there are only few digital signals to program for auto external mode. There are some threads about it here in the forum, and a good description in the manual.

16 i/o are a bit too less signals for transferring positions, you should use the bus system.

• Thanks for the reply Hermann,

i have an array of points i would like to send to the ROBOT controller from my PLC, for execution.

i have EIP setup.

e.g. array_1[1,2,3,4,5] to $IN[1]

my idea is to use for loop to move to each of the taught points accordingly

• inputs are already an array. you will want to group some of them into suitable signal

SIGNAL PointNumber $IN[3] TO $IN[19] ; up to 32-bit possible

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners