C5G ACC3 verse C5G RCS3-EAM Controller Differences

• The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm doing some research and trying to find any documentation which would shed light on the differences btw these to C5G versions. There is nothing on the net and nothing in the C5G controller manual I downloads.

If anyone could direct me to a site or a document I can do the research I just need to know where to look.

Thanks

• In fact, the codes mean cabinet size and safety type.

ACC3 is size 3, and X30 (hardware) safety.

RCS3 is size 3, and bus safety.

I still don't now the EAM meaning, but I suppose it is related with the cabinet version (Europe or North American).

• massula, I received this information from Comau Tech Support concerning the Controller differences.

"C5G RCS3-EAM
    RCS = Robot Controller Safe - Includes Hardware/Software for Robosafe
    3 = Size of the controller = NJ over 175 up to 370 and NJ 450 - 2.7
    E = APC830 processor
    AM = American Version Controller

C5G ACC3

ACC = Automation Control Cabinet
    3 = Size of the controller = NJ over 175 up to 370 and NJ 450 - 2.7"

I think I can convince the seller to match up whatever controller I want to go with the Robot since both these controller will support a NJ4 170 robot.

Do you think I should go for the C5G RCS3-EAM since it includes the Hardware/Software for Robosafe. From my brief reading it seems like Robosafe allow better human safe interaction with robots.

I'm not sure if the "ACC" based controller is anything more special then a standard C5G controller. The word "Automation" being in the title does make me wonder if it has any special software.

I sent an email back to Comau Tech Support to see if the could give more details on the ACC and RoboSafe as it applies to a Comau robot so we'll see what they say.

Edited 2 times, last by fraza44 ().

• Thanks for the info, fraza44

Yep, you are right, Robosafe is the right choice if You won't have robot completely isolated by fences and other safety devices, but there is a catch: you will probably need a PLC controlling this robot, to use its safety functions. I don't know if is possible to run a safe robot in standalone mode.

• Unfortunately tech support shot the idea of using the RCS3 controller down. Here is a response from Tech Support when I inquired about the difference

"The ACC is the standard C5G controller. If you have a need for robosafe, I would recommend the RCS. Keep in mind you can not mix and match controllers

I take this sentence to mean I can only use the original controller which came with the robot. The robot in question has manufacture date of 2009 but the RCS3 controller has manufacture date of 2016.

On another note, in order to operate a robot do you have to have a safety fence in order for the robot to function or is this something you can bypass. There will be no one in my workshop but me and two other people so I planned just to do a painted safety line around the robot but then I remember seeing something in the Camua operation manual which made it seem like there was a connection point for safety fence latch device.

• Thanks for the info.

If the controller models have this age difference, it will really not possible to swap them.

If you intend to use the robot without a PLC, you can simply jump X122 connector, but I really don't remember if COMAU have some sort of AUTO LOCAL mode.

If not, with the jumpers, You can only operate robot in T1 mode, programming speed.

Advertising from our partners