Milling robot

• Hello,

Trying to pick a compressor for our soon to be milling set-up, but im not sure how powerful it should be.

Does anyone know what the required air would be for a robot+spindle? Bars and L/min

Thanks in advance.

• Nobody can tell you. That highly depends on your equipment. Type and size of spindle. The robot himself doesn't need any compressed air.

Have a look into the data sheets of your equipment.

• 1. You can start by defining your milling set-up operating condition.

2. List all the equipment that requires compressed air. I.e. How much air will it consume and how much air pressure does it need to operate.

3. Put all the data in excel and sum up the air consumption. That is your minimum rating (air consumption) for choosing the compressor.

4. Mark the equipment with the highest operating pressure among all equipment (for example 6 bar is the highest operating pressure) then it will be your minimum compressor rating. Times it by 1.5 for the safety factor.

5. Open up your favorite brand of compressor catalog, choose the most suitable one. Over spec is always better than under. Don't worry about the high pressure they offered, you can put an air regulator on the output of the compressor to match your requirement.

6. Please consider your compressor duty cycle. Do you want it to operate intermittently? What I mean by intermittent is your compressor only turns on when there is not enough pressure and air volume to supply from the compressor tank. Or maybe, you want it to be on all the time the milling is being used.

You can determine this by comparing your air consumption and the compressor tank capacity.

I'm a newbie, please don't be harsh. Thank you so much for helping me to improve, may the universe be with you :smiling_face:

• All spindles use compressed air up to 10 bars maximum for tool changing peneumatic circuit and inside sealing. Because spindle use air for sealing against dust entrance into the motor and blow at 4-6 bars continously around HSK, flow rate is well to be as much as possible, 200 L/min or more. That way compressor will start seldomer having enough air volume.

You can use also 100 or 150 L/min but compressor will start oftener to refill small reservoir volume.

• All spindles use compressed air up to 10 bars maximum for tool changing peneumatic circuit and inside sealing. Because spindle use air for sealing against dust entrance into the motor and blow at 4-6 bars continously around HSK, flow rate is well to be as much as possible, 200 L/min or more. That way compressor will start seldomer having enough air volume.

You can use also 100 or 150 L/min but compressor will start oftener to refill small reservoir volume.

Thank you! this is exactly the information I was looking for.

Advertising from our partners