Can we work without UFRAME if we only work in space (world) ?

• First of all I want to specify that I work with a CRX Fanuc cobot.

I have to work on a part with a gel application (the part being in the robot's hand, it passes under a gel which is placed on a support and the robot makes the trajectories to go to the passage points and activate an I/O to apply this gel).

I would like to know if it is mandatory and advisable to create a UFRAME marker for this position? (Knowing that there is no flat plan to learn this UFRAME).

Otherwise how can I learn the UFRAME?

(The gel bottle is suspended and pointing downwards, it is placed on an L-shaped stand allowing it to be installed high up).

I know that UFRAME allows the robot to know and work in a chosen environment.

Moreover I know that it is enough to relearn its 3/4 points of reference when moving the work plan.

Thank you for your help.

MR.

• Place your Ad here!
  • Is this gel dispenser stationary? Pictures or a drawing of your application would be helpful.

If the dispenser is stationary, this is a textbook application of remote TCP.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Is this gel dispenser stationary? Pictures or a drawing of your application would be helpful.

If the dispenser is stationary, this is a textbook application of remote TCP.

Thank you for your answer,

Yes the dispenser is fixed on its support

What does a remote TCP application mean to you?

Is there any need to learn a UFRAME?

• Helpful

Your Uframe origin becomes the TCP. The TCP is now fixed in space relative to the base of the robot instead of attached to the face plate, hence the term "remote". Wherever you move the part, the robot will rotate around the fixed dispenser when jogged. Programed motions would have the RTCP motion modifier on them.

• In my experience, you don't need anything until you actually do need it. I've probably done 10-12 machine/cell tending integrations for my employer. Maybe 2 of them utilize a user frame. I have not heard a convincing argument as to why I should automatically teach a bunch of different frames of reference when creating a new work cell. If you think it will be useful to your application, teach it. If not, why bother?

• In my experience, you don't need anything until you actually do need it. I've probably done 10-12 machine/cell tending integrations for my employer. Maybe 2 of them utilize a user frame. I have not heard a convincing argument as to why I should automatically teach a bunch of different frames of reference when creating a new work cell. If you think it will be useful to your application, teach it. If not, why bother?

I mainly do it for the next guy. Usually the next guy is me 5 years later.

Outside of vision or metrology applications, creating a frame for me mainly depends on how many points there are in the path. 1 pick and place point? Frame doesn't really matter in that case. The more amount of points there are in the path, the more sense it makes to create a frame.

• Nation hit it on the head. 1 or 2 working points, why bother.

But say 35 points around an application, I would teach a Uframe. Big reason for me using frames is we are an Integrator. So we do it at our shop, then install at customer.

If you were applying to 35 points, with a Uframe you would only touchup 3 points (frame) onsite.

Things are never exactly in place like on Cad. No frame, you would touchup 35 points.

Uframes get me home quicker :grinning_squinting_face: