Fanuc SCARA 2d Camera Vision

• Hello Guys,

I am using Fanuc SCARA SR-20iA Robot (Controller R-30iB Compact plus) which is connected with 2D Fanuc Camera(model SC130EF2). I have an option iRVision on my TP. Camera is working(i have the image from the lens) but i didn't calibrate her yet. The camera's job is to detect the position of the parts being moved and set them up in the correct configuration. This is my first time working with vision and I don't know exactly what configuration i should do or how the code should looks like.

I would be grateful for any sub hints, tips, documentation.

Thank you in advance for your response and best wishes.

• Hi HawkME,

Yes, this is a fixed camera. I want to use it to set the component in the correct configuration before the drop. Component has a round shape with a small protrusion. And i want to set the configuration by using this protrusion.

Proces looks that:

-Robot is going to pick the component,

-After pick routine, robot is going above the camera,

-camera is comparing the components orientation with the teached one

-after calculating difference the component is rotated to the teached configuration

-when part is in correct position robot is going drop the part.

So my questions are:
    1. Can i program my camera by only "Camera Data" and "Vision process Tools" in iRVision?

2. Do i need calib grid for calibration when the Tool is only rotating the part or i can calibration it on different way?

3. How i can create a data for pictures from camera? Or how to save the "reference position" of component?

4. Before configuration in iRVision setup should i create program with some logic and go through it?

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. You create a vision process in the iRvision web browser. Then you create a TP Program to move the part in front of the camera, call the vision process and offset your place position.

2. In this case you do use Robot generated grid calibration. A target is mounted on the end of the robot and moves around under the camera.

3. Run your TP Program and pause with the robot and part in position in view of the camera. Then take a picture and teach your GPM model.

4. Yes, you need to do both the TP Program and vision process.

• This Calib metod (Robot Generated Grid Cal) can be proceed on SCARA robots or only on 6-axis? I have an axis limit error on 4-th step("Calibration"). I was trying to change limits or start position but it didnt help.

• I don't think you can do Robot generated Grid Cal with a Scara, because you can't get Yaw or Pitch.

It will have to be a pointer taught grid frame. I calibrated a Scara once with a robot held grid, but I don't remember how (not auto grid cal)

• We did the manual grid configuration as it seems like the only workable option.

We have tried numerous times to get the camera configured correctly, but we always seem to lose the proper pick position when the rotation is introduced.

Code runs a run_find and then a get_offset to vr1, then we move to a PR that offsets by vr1.

Gripper tool frame is set with two point plus z, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but it’s something. Fanuc says it’s either my tool frame or motor mastering. Any thoughts?

• Manual grid is fine, and may be the only option with the scara, but you need to have everything setup correctly first.

1. Attach a good pointer, then teach a 3 point tool frame for it.

2. Make that pointer is the active tool frame

3. Teach the user frame for the grid using a 4 point method (3 point + offset origin)

4. Adjust fstop of lens. f8 is a good starting value.

5. Turn on lighting and adjust the focus of the lens until the writing on the grid is clear and crisp.

6. Perform camera calibration with user frame set to the one just taught for the grid. If using a robot mounted camera, then do a 2 plane calibration. If fixed do 1 plane and type in the focal length of the lens.

7. Verify the max error < 2 and mean error < 1.

8. Remove grid and place a part on the surface.

9. Set User frame to the grid or surface, set tool frame to pointer and verify the Z height of the part by almost barely touching the pointer to the part and looking at the current Z position.

10. Create your 2D vision process and TP program.

11. Test picking the part with it moved in x,y and then rotated, then both.

Advertising from our partners