MAstering and load data trouble on my KRC4

• KRC4 - KR210 R3100 - KS V8.3.422

I've been trying to set a tool through 4 points for 2 days now.

No matter how precise and rigorous I try to be, I still get an error which is way over the admissible value of 5mm.

I tried to re-master all the axis with my dial gauge, but I still can't get under 19mm of error after doing the 4 different positions.

I remembered that the load data had not been set, so I went through hoops to get the center of gravity of my spindle and used CAD to get the Inertia values.

I even used the "KUKA load" spreadsheet-like tool, but that proved kind of useless.

Anyway, I tried to enter the values, and mostly those for axis 6, but the interface refuses to set values for that axis !!!

It says "Value out of range Axis (1-3)". I don't get it...

I do have a fair amount of experience setting up tools from 4 directions, so it has to be something else...

• I even used the "KUKA load" spreadsheet-like tool, but that proved kind of useless.

The spreadsheet is just a tool to do a pass/fail test between the payload and the selected robot model. Mostly, it's intended for design-phase work, to determine if the tooling needs to be redesigned or if a beefier robot needs to be chosen.

Anyway, I tried to enter the values, and mostly those for axis 6, but the interface refuses to set values for that axis !!!

It says "Value out of range Axis (1-3)". I don't get it...

That screenshot says "supplementary load". That's the load on top of the arm (usually between A3 and A4), not the wrist-carried tool load. That's probably why you're getting that error.

• hat screenshot says "supplementary load". That's the load on top of the arm (usually between A3 and A4), not the wrist-carried tool load. That's probably why you're getting that error.

OK, got it.

Do you think that the proper wrist load data can affect my 4 point tool measurement ?

I followed all your advices regarding dial-gauge mastering, and I feel I'm at the max of what my eyeballs and brain can achieve precision-wise...

• wrong load data may get you 1mm or so error but not 19mm.

either you are using wrong MADA or your robot is not mastered correctly.

as for setting loads, why not stick to the manual? it explains how to do this very well.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Yeah, 19m is pretty unusual.

Mastering or MADA are the most likely culprits. Another would be physical wear in the robot. Another common one is sag/flex in the tooling or the way it's mounted to the robot.

$LOAD shouldn't have much effect on doing a TCP, although I can't rule it out entirely, especially if the tool load is close to the robot's maximum (not just mass, but also CoG). Having the $LOAD value set correctly can't hurt, though.

Is this an Absolute Accuracy robot? AA is supposed to have no effects when jogging the robot, so that shouldn't matter, but it's another item to try ruling out.

• Another would be physical wear in the robot.

Uh-oh... I sure hope it's not the case, or it would be a disaster for my business.

I just got it used from a reputable Italian/Spanish company that refurbishes them.

It logs 26770 hours. Is that a lot for a KR210 ?

Regarding the load, it's quite low : 40 KG, and quite close to the wrist.

I might have screwed-up the mastering, for sure.

Specially axis 4 and 6 because I can't see the "V shaped mounds.

It seemed to behave differently than the others : no "uphill+downhill+ start going uphill".

It's just a long uphill, then downhill for those two "hidden" ones.

• Yes, Panic, I'm not a good manual reader.

But each time, I need to figure out if the information is in

-Integration manual

-KRC4 Operation manual

-KR Quantec manual

For example, I searched MADA and was unable to find it in either 3... so I come here because you guys rock.

• lets see, human working 40h/week for some 50 weeks year is 2000h / year

so 26000h is 13 man years. but if is working 3 shifts, that is more than 4 years. you decide... :winking_face:

as for mastering, that is definitely wrong...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• if you want to use computer, you need to learn how...

i have 20Gb+ worth of manuals and i don't read them one by one to find info i need.

key manuals i go over and that's it. for everything else i use search function. some good tools including search tools are listed in READ FIRST.

btw, knowing some German helps decode some of abbreviations.

BA_*.pdf = "Benutzer Anleitung" or User Manual

KR Quantec manual tells you info on robot arms (mechanical details, mounting, range of motions, etc.) but nothing about programming.

KRC4 Operating manuals tells you only how to use it, not how to configure it.

Configuration and programming is in System integrator manual. It covers all bases but this manual cannot cover all variables. System Variables manual is document with comprehensive list of variables.

3) read 1 and 2

• System Variables manual is document with comprehensive list of variables.

OK, I guess I didn't know I needed this one as well.

Anyways, I used a laser to check any large anomaly and found that my axis 4 was way off.

I redit the mastering of 4, 5 and 6, and now I'm on track again.

I managed an error of 0.78 mm !

Toooooooooooooooot !!!

• Yes, Panic, I'm not a good manual reader.

But each time, I need to figure out if the information is in

-Integration manual

-KRC4 Operation manual

-KR Quantec manual

As the manuals are PDFs, the most common program to read them is Adobe Reader DC (the free reader). This program has an Advanced Search feature (Ctrl-Shift-F) that will search an entire directory of PDFs for every occurrence of a key word or phrase. I rely on it rather heavily.

As for Mastering:

The tip of the mastering pin is shaped to exactly match the shape of the v-notch. This is how the EMT identifies the exact Master position -- seeing the moment where the pin switches instantly from downward motion to upward motion, with no "flat" in between. This avoids any false positives on the outer slopes.

If you remove your dial gauge, and press in the pin with a non-metallic tool (the EMT pushes on a machined flat plate, you don't want to scratch it), and continuously jog the axis slowly (1%, no more than 5%) in the negative direction, you should be able to feel it. It might take a few tries, and it works best with two people. I've used this in emergencies in the field when neither EMT nor dial gauge were available. The white paint marks on the axis are just the starting points for the Mastering motion -- the only thing they're good for is to be confident you're on the + side of the V-notch, but not too far away.

• Good job... :smiling_face:

It looks like you are all set ... unless you need finer value. that would depend on how well robot is mastered, with or without load, how far TCP is from flange and how well TCP is defined (small error cannot be obtained if tool is not pointy).

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks folks !

I have only recently decided to quit my job and start a robot milling workshop.

I put all I had in this business and now I rely on it to feed the kids, so It means a lot to me to have this kind of support.

I didn't know about Acrobat's "meta" search feature. A great time saver that one, assuredly !

This definitely will make the manuals more hepful to me.

Actually, my effort to put together a glossary is also an attempt to improve the experience of using manuals, as I was often overwhelmed by the use of ill-defined acronyms.

Advertising from our partners