General conversion between different coordinate system types (KUKA, Fanuc, ABB, etc)

• Well, I'm back to this. Except now it's project-related, instead of personal interest. I need to convert a lot of points from Kawasaki to Fanuc.

Back in this post , Jeremy said that RoboDK contains Python functions that convert each Euler "type" to/from matrix notation. I've found them, but... it's not entirely clear which function is for which (group of) robot brands. Some are called out explicitly -- the functions named pose_2_Fanuc and Fanuc_2_pose

are pretty obvious. But there's nothing called out explicitly for Kawasaki.

I think I've found it, though. In RoboDK proper, you edit a frame's "type" between multiple notations, and "Kawasaki" is grouped as so:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Digging into the RoboDK.py file turns up no functions labelled for Kawasaki, but does turn up one for Comau:

Which is rather amusing, as the Comau routines are just a call to the Adept routines. Apparently no one ever decided to add a similar "alias" for Kawasaki?

Now to see if I can actually get my weak Python skills to access those functions from my own external script....

• @SkyFire

you also may check post #35 (pose calculator)

D'Oh!

Here's a question: these only work for Right-hand-rule coordinate systems, correct? Kawasakis used to be left-hand, but there doesn't seem to an option for those older robots.

Not that it really matters, as I'm working on an E-model controller (latest generation). So it should be right-hand, but now I need to find a way to confirm/deny that. Off to download the trial version of the Kawasaki simulator I go!

• Actually I just remembered (back in 1990) KUKA used Siemens Sirotec RCM as Robot controller.

The orientation was also LHR (Angle A: math. positive, Angle B: math. negative, Angle C: math. positive)

(so it always was RHR- sorry for the confusion)

They made the calculation using RHR and then inversed Angle B

Could this be the same with your described problem?

But as I said the was decades ago

Advertising from our partners