Welding application: Robot shifting while weaving

• Hi everybody,

I'm commissioning a KR8 R2010-2 with a DKP-400-V1 controlled by a KR C4 (KSS 8.6) including ArcTechBasic 3.3, ArcTechAdvanced 3.3, TouchSense 3.2, ArcSense 3.3 (and RSI 4.1).

As part of the commissioning, we are providing 5 recipes including a pipe to pipe (butt joint with 5mm gap between the pipes).

The fixture is installed on the positioner, with the positioner at 90deg and rotating 360deg while the robot is "staying in position" (see attached zip file containing images, video and program for a clearer explanation). The working base of this program is link to the positioner base.

Because of the nature of the weld, weaving is required but after a 1/4 turn the path shifts (see the sketch and the video - sorry for the quality of the video the environment light was a bit dark).

If I remove the weaving, the path is fine and doesn't shift but as soon as I add the weaving this shift happens.

I contacted Kuka support about it, they asked to update ArcTech package but instead of shifting after a 1/4 turn now it shifts after 1/2 turn. They came back saying that it might comes from the touch sensing corrections but this is one of the first thing I tested (commenting out all corrections) which resulted in the same shifting - they haven't came back since then and this is an open issue since start of December.

Does anyone encountered similar issue? Or anybody have any suggestions I could try?

Thanks for your help

• What welding system are you using?? Fronius, miller, lincoln?

Was this all programmed by hand or using the simulation values?

And in which corrdinate is the shift happening?

1.) I'm no expert.

2.) I need advice/therapy

3.)Have fun!! Live life!! :face_with_tongue: :face_with_tongue:

Edited once, last by expertfisherman20 ().

• The welding system is a Fronius TPSi400 with a push pull CMT - sorry I didn't think that was relevant.

The program was done with simulation at first and I tried to create a new program this time all by hand but with the same issue.

The shifting is happening in along the axis of the positioner (see the video and sketch in the attach file of my first post which gives a better understanding).

• I just love welding systems it was not necessary. :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

I had this issue when once. What I had to do was make my "Y" stagnate while programming by opening the axis position screen and monitoring the axis that is making the big shift.

From the looks of it the robot its self isn't doing the rotation. In my situation, the coming rotation around the wrist is what causes such a shift do you have a full video of the wrist movement?

1.) I'm no expert.

2.) I need advice/therapy

3.)Have fun!! Live life!! :face_with_tongue: :face_with_tongue:

• I did a job like last week lol so as you seem to just rotating E1 to weld the weave will work correctly a

I had to insert this in my program after the ini line and the used circle weld moves and switches and it worked fine

$circ_type=#PATH

Give it a try

• Hi everyone,

After months and months, I finally have an answer on this weird behaviour.

My problem was coming from the fact I was skipping the init which within the bas init reset all variables used by the RSI for weaving.
    As I was manually teaching the path and touching up some points when restarting from the start of the path without going through init, it messed up with the weaving path overlap.

Hope this will help futur users.

Advertising from our partners