Mastering is needed when reinstalling XPe and KSS

• Hello,

Has been successfully done clean Windows XPe 2.2 and KSS 5.6.12 installation.

Remains the message / request for mastering of all robot axes.

Due to the fact that the robot has not been mechanically serviced or else that will provoke misalignment with the previous mastering data, I want to ask which is the reason of the new mastering request after the OS and KSS installation ?

Will be correct, if the robot is placed to 0.0000° rotational position of all axes and to be mastered without mastering tool, keeping the above mentioned fact that the mechanical change has not be performed at the robot, during OS and KSS clean installation ?

• I want to ask which is the reason of the new mastering request after the OS and KSS installation ?

Encoders are not absolute value encoders but incremental encoders counting only deltas. So the absolute added up value for each axis is stored using software. This is deleted during installation.

Will be correct, if the robot is placed to 0.0000° rotational position of all axes and to be mastered without mastering tool, keeping the above mentioned fact that the mechanical change has not be performed at the robot, during OS and KSS clean installation

No. The method you describe can be used but not for all axes mastering position is zero. It depends on the robot type but most kuka robots use A2 -90, A3 90 which is canon position. You can lookup $mames from r1/machine.dat to get the mastering position for your robot. Then assuming previous mastering was correct you can put robot at this coordinates and unmaster and afterwards remaster with reference method to get the same mastering as before unmastering (if and only if robot was not not moved unmastered).

But just to be sure: After complete reinstalling a new first mastering using emd is highly recommended. At least if you need high precision.

Fubini

• You are right, that should be possible if before OS and KSS reinstallation, the robot was placed in the canon position 0,-90,90,0,0,0 and left the robot in that position, but it was my mistake that I didn't do it.

• Encoders are not absolute value encoders but incremental encoders counting only deltas. So the absolute added up value for each axis is stored using software. This is deleted during installation.

Thanks for participating in this thread. I keep the old kuka Hdd, removed before reinstallation.

I would ask you how is posssible to retrieve the previous encoder positions ? If they are software dependant, where they are stored ?

• mastery.log. But I advice strongly against using this info and trying to come up with some scheme to recalculate mastering with it. It is not a simple procedure and error prone considering the stuff you would need to consider. It's not worth the effort compared to a simple remastering. You can do remastering without emd. Just do forum search to find hints on to do this best. Mastering is basically the issue of finding the notch of the mastering cartridge and this can be achieved without emd using a measuring clock or even a ballpoint pen.

• You mean why there are nonzero numbers after the decimal point? Could be various reasons.

Do you have absolute accuracy robot? Then there is a position dependence on loads.

What are the values of tool and base? Only if both of them are zero you get robot flange w.r.t. robot base. If tool or base are measured usually they have nonzero values after decimal point enforcing them on Cartesian position as well.

Also there is always a distinction between positions based on commanded (ideal) values and actual values based on measured values by the encoders. The latter one suffer from influences like backslash.

If I have time to think about i can probably come up with a more possible reasons. Hard to say by just looking at the values.

Fubini

Advertising from our partners