How to set up a used robot from scratch..

• Windows image from KUKA is not only a standard Windows but already contains non standard software needed to run a KSS on top. This among other stuff includes the robots realtime os VxWorks the needed user accounts for VxWorks and necessary device drivers. So to get back to the complete factory default also reinstalling kuka windows is needed. But sometimes it is sufficient to reinstall kss as mentioned above. You could try it. I am not sure this is sufficient for safe operation. Before doing this you should of course check whether all needed installers for add-ons like safe robot are available. Just in case having the needed windows images never hurts. This is stuff the seller should always provide (but honestly often is not included 😈). In that case you can always contact Kuka. If you provide the robot serial number and there exists a valid license for the respective addon they are happy to send you the software.

Fubini

• Place your Ad here!
  • Ok I think I understand

Honestly I would have never guess Robots would be that complicated ,of course once you learn ,everything is easy.

Now I prepared the X11 service jumper plug as per kuka manual ,but what is the safeguard connection about ? pin7 to pin25

thanks

Elias

• hello

Did some progress here .I made the jumper plugs for x11 and x40 and thanks to the help of a good friend we managed to log in as maintenance safety by resetting the pass to default and uninstall profibus and get rid of most of the errors.

Also cancelled monitoring all axes from safety parameters ,but there is no global settings line to cancel safe robot.

The errors now are.

436 short cirquit braking request by RDC 1

411 safety mode not possible

390 mastering test req

437 calibration reference sw defect

444 failuresafety output no 3

403 Estop safety controler

310 safety cirquit drives not ready

200 drives contactor off

Checked kuka safe operation manual about 444

please look at pic at n3 ,what does the description mean?

Any suggestions what to do ?

thanks

• 463 is a second-order effect of the other errors.

411 is caused by 390

437 means that the Mastering Reference Switch is not connected. Unless you can deactivate

SafeOperation entirely, you may have to resolve this in hardware.

444 is concerning. It suggests a hardware issue with the SafeRDC, or the X40 connector. I would check the wires related to Safe Output 3 and make sure there are no shorts or cross connections. Also, open the Safe Diagnostic menu and check the Output Status.

403 is a secondary effect, like 463.

310 is a secondary effect.

200 is just a status message.

• Yes I have found this wiring diagram from the forum for X40,

unfortunately I still have theese errors after making the X40 jumper plug

There are at least 3 examples of X40 wiring at manual safe operation 2.1 .I will try them and see if one of them changes anything.

But my questions is should I be looking at X41 plug since the explanation of error 444 is about x41 ,please look at atached pic above ,and what should I look for at X41 ? what test to make ?

• Got a polite reply from KUKA saying that they are not helping non trained persons to operate Robots ,and case closed ! I cant imagine every time there is an error I have to bring a trained person ,the closest kuka technician is 500km away and he suggested me to sent the robot to their premises in order to make it functional ! not to mention the $$$ they asked for !!

I checked wiring one by one on X41 is all good

the thing that makes me scratch my head is that my functional X40 plug as came with the robot had no wiring at B8 and B9 positions ,I had to relocate some spare ones from D section.

So I'm wondering what I'm I bridging at those positions as per X40 diagram since the robot was operating without circuit there ,or maybe I'm missing something ?

Got the Robo blues..

• soo.... what was the question?

i can see their response to be fitting if you said something like" "i never operated robot, never got any training but simply want to do some wiring in the safety circuit and run the robot, can you help?".

also a good thing when buying used robot (or car or airplane or submarine) is to check if it works, if it has any problems (squealing sound, oil leaks, signs of wear or damage) and if it includes documentation.

when all if good, then buy it... if not, make the offer conditional and give them the chance to remedy the problem. don't buy it if not in good order...

when one gets robot that "used to work" but it does not work now, it is much harder to get it operational. worse you don't have contacts and resources to do needed repairs and from someone diving in head first like that it could be seen as a red flag and may not want to get involved with someone not serious.

As for training, why don't you get trained or have one of colleagues/employees trained? That would clear that up.

I checked wiring one by one on X41 is all good

Well... i don't want to discourage you but you would not believe how many times i have heard that, only to find out that things were not done correctly. Maybe post circuit you tried to follow along with picture of implementation. Than at least we may be able to comment if this is still looking fine or not.

and, did you say X41? or do you mean X40?

Don't recall last time i saw KRC2 but here is X40 jumper plug that used to work for me.

finally, do all things look original or there is suspicion that alterations were performed?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• i can see their response to be fitting if you said something like" "i never operated robot, never got any training but simply want to do some wiring in the safety circuit and run the robot, can you help?".

Lol , you got it correct , yes I'm direct and say the truth always ,no beggin and no lies.

Of course the result not always satisfying :-((

The robot is in mint condition , any one operating machines for some time can tell ,and I did make sure I got a really good deal because it was not possible to demo.

That dont mean it might not have a couple of things to solve. Only thing needed is guidance

I have ,operated and serviced expensive and complicated machines for more than 20 years , never had a service man by the phone or mail check my training certificate first before providing help.I can understand KUKAs concern about people ''playing'' with dangerous robot ''toys'' but that is not the case with all and a CNC lathe ,mill ,Laser or Punching machine is not leess dangerous than a robot if in wrong hands ,you dont need training for having common sense.

anyways ,no hard feelings

Edited once, last by eliasgr ().

• Yes checked X41s cable continuity from one side to other

also checked x40 plug as per drawing at least a dozen times

Will post pics about plug

Not all things look original ,X41 position used to be in other place ,was about to comment that looked suspicious.. will post pics about that too

Diagram is same as you showing but pic on the left is upside down ,right ??

Thank you for all the help

Edited once, last by eliasgr ().

• Diagram is same as you showing but pic on the left is upside down ,right ??

you are focusing on wrong things. picture was placed upside down so that contact numbers are easier to read, you can rotate the image and compare. besides, there is clearly marked order of inserts (A,B,,,,C,D) and coding pins match.

btw, your connector X40 is not a standalone plug, there is a strain relief and cable going somewhere... this circuit need to be completed.

the X40 jumper plug is self contained, and all circuits are completed (bypassed), so there are no external cables.

this is an important detail and you need to check that cable and documentation to see what is going on there and it is complete. jumper plug is used to bypass all this when no safe operation is used or to test if everything is ok with the robot (by ignoring external circuit). in your case that external circuit is present but nobody knows if and what is connected to it.

also checked x40 plug as per drawing at least a dozen times

well, if you did, good for you but i certainly have my doubts... how exactly did you test it? visually? using multimeter? using x-ray?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2