Examples of complex Karel MOVE TO code for old controllers

• Local company has asked me to look into helping them support a really old application running on RJ2/RJ3 controllers with Karel. They still have the source code of most of the programs.

They also have manuals, but it's all very sparse on details about MOVE TO and other motion related functionality. Syntax is explained, but nothing much more.

I'm hoping someone here with experience with these old systems would have some code to share which shows how to use these old Karel statements.

Interesting would be programs with coordinated motion between multiple groups and IO related code.

Nothing has been touched yet, and I haven't been near the controllers, so all info I have comes from their engineers.

• I don't know if the old controllers support multiple motion groups, but I know the newer ones from version 5 (I think) explicitly state with a very serious warning that they do not and bad things will happen.

• What I was trying to say is that I don't see the MOVE TO instructions in the newer KAREL manuals.

The KAREL manual for V9.30 says:

"Note The KAREL system provides a way to create and manipulate position data but it does not
    support motion instructions. All motion must be initiated from a teach pendant program. Instructions
    and built-ins are available for setting KAREL position data into teach pendant programs"

• I don't know if the old controllers support multiple motion groups, but I know the newer ones from version 5 (I think) explicitly state with a very serious warning that they do not and bad things will happen.

I know, and I'm aware of that warning.

Programs are working though.

What I was trying to say is that I don't see the MOVE TO instructions in the newer KAREL manuals.

Karel supports motion, even if the newer manuals do not mention it any more. But that is not a problem in this case. Manuals are present, as well as a copy of ktrans.

You can still build programs with motion statements in them. They will just not go as fast as TP programs.

And personally, once you get used to the Karel way of doing things, it is not that bad.

Advertising from our partners