DCS Disabling Inputs using Robot Outputs

• Hello,

The end of arm tooling that we are using has vacuum cups that extend out and so I have set up two separate user frames for each of these situations. I would like to just use the robot output that is extending and retracting the cups in order to pick which one the robot should be using for the DCS. For example, RO [1] extends the cups so it would disable the EOAT Retracted user, RO [2] retracts the cups so it would disable the EOAT Extended user. I was also trying to figure out a way that maybe I could write into a variable to switch between them based on which robot output in on but that doesn't seem very possible either.

Maybe DCS isn't the best thing to use for this situation and in that case please provide some info on that. We are not at a point in this project of being able to buy more options on the robots.

Thanks in advanced for any info you guys have!

• in order to pick which one the robot should be using for the DCS.

"which one" what? Are you trying to activate different DCS tools based on the ROs?

For example, RO [1] extends the cups so it would disable the EOAT Retracted user, RO [2] retracts the cups so it would disable the EOAT Extended user.

"User" what? User Input/Output?

If you are trying to activate different DCS tools based on the tool extended/retracted conditions, what you're doing is possible, but only by using NSIs (Non-Safe Inputs) in DCS. The problem with this lies in the name -- if you do this, you're using non-safety-rated signals to alter your safety configuration. This violates general safety standards.

The correct way to do this is to add safety-rated sensors to the EOAT, to explicitly detect the Extended and Retracted status, and use those as actual safety inputs to DCS.

• I am trying to activate different Cartesian Position Checks based on the RO.

I have a user set up for each of the two conditions that are used as Target Model 2 in each of the Cartesian Position Checks that I have setup. I did find information on using NSI as a disabling input, but when I am setting up my Cartesian Position Check, that option does not show up.

I am not concerned with meeting safety standards as we are doing this purely just to protect the tooling from running into the robot itself. Especially when a maintenance person may have to jog the robot to reset the User Frame.

• you didn't say what version software you are running, but the newer stuff has Target Model Collision as a "method" under DCS Cartesian position check.

This check only looks for the tool model hitting the robot.

You just have to make sure your tool model does not overlap the J5/J6 robot bubble. I just make the model start away from the J6 connection

• you didn't say what version software you are running, but the newer stuff has Target Model Collision as a "method" under DCS Cartesian position check.

This check only looks for the tool model hitting the robot.

I am running version 9.3. I do plan to use the Target Model Collision, but I need a way to switch between two different target models based on whether the vacuum cups are extended or retracted.

• You will have to connect the RO to DO (bg logic DO[…] = RO[…]

That DO will be configured to Rack 36, slot 0, start 1 making it NSI 1

Using the DO[…] as a NSI, tie it to a SIR in Safe I/O connect, then that is a viable disabling input

• You will have to connect the RO to DO (bg logic DO[…] = RO[…]

That DO will be configured to Rack 36, slot 0, start 1 making it NSI 1

Using the DO[…] as a NSI, tie it to a SIR in Safe I/O connect, then that is a viable disabling input

That all went good until I realized that I do not have Safe I/O Connect... I believe I saw another thread that mentioned that was an additional option that has to be paid for. Good to know how to write to NSI though!

Advertising from our partners