Image origin frame and Application frame in iRVision

• Hello experts,

Can someone explain the difference between

• the Application frame, offset frame, and Grid calibration frame in the context of the FANUC iRVision tool? I have an R30bi controller and its frame 9 is being used as an application frame, offset frame, and Grid calibration frame in our vision application
    • From the above-mentioned frames, Which frame provides The image frame origin with respect to the robot base frame?

• Hi

The grid calibration ( i use 9 also) is (obvious) the frame where the software find the offset on the part it seeing right now against the one you taught. That's why you specified what grid you are using (5mm, 15mm,.....) and the lens.

The application frame is where you go after pick up the part and do something. You can use 9, there is nothing wrong with it. I like to define my own (Usually 1) so If I have to reteach the grid (9) my points in the application do not change

Now, offset frame (unless I'm having a blank moment in my brain) I don't know what it is. I will say it is result of the vision, basically the values of VR but for me that is just and offset at frame 9

Retired but still helping

• I feel like Fanuc should provide a good diagram or infographic on these frames.

Here is my understanding (which could be wrong, everyone who uses iRVision has figured out how to make sense of it in their own way):

Grid calibration frame = the user frame taught on the calibration grid. So this is the one you create when you place the grid calibration on a table, etc and touch off on the points of the grid to create a user frame. This allows the robot to know where the calib grid is when it does the calculations for calibration.

Offset frame = this is the frame in which the parts will be when you take the image. The offset values returned from iRVision are with respect to the origin of this frame.

From the iRVision training manual it explains the offset frame is the "frame in which the offset of the part is to take place".

Most of the time we put the grid calibration in the same place that we will be picking the parts. In which case, the grid and offset frame can be the same. However it doesn't have to be the same place. You can calibrate on one side of your workcell and then pick parts on the other side of the workcell. As long as you have user frames for each location and you set the appropriate value for Grid Calib Frame and Offset Frame.

Application frame = who knows? Even when I went to training, I felt like the teacher could not give a good explanation. The training manual only says that the Z of the camera should be normal to this plane. I usually use 0.

• Hi all,

Thank you for providing such comprehensive information.

We have the following FANUC robot cell LR-Mate. I am involved in a camera-guided pick and place task of that robot but in this task, I need to bypass the iRVision controller of the robot and use external pre-trained models for object detection.

Description of Works:

My work involves capturing robot workspace pictures and process this picture by pre-trained models for basic object recognition like CNN or other DL algorithms to detect and localize objects and The position of the object in the image is going to be transformed with simple geometric transformations to the cartesian space of the robot and issues trajectories to the robot for picking an object from the workspace.

I was able to

1. retrieve workspace images through the robot's FTP server
    2. can command the robot from a python script to move to position
    3. a pre-trained CNN model can detect the objects in the workspace picture

To complete this task I need the following information (I was looking on google but can not understand :frowning_face:

1. Which frame (UF9 or UF0(world frame)) to use for transforming the position of the object in the image to the cartesian space of the robot so the robot can move to this point?

during my search I find the following information to complete my task:

1. The image frame origin with respect to the robot base frame.(I don't know what is meant by image frame but my understanding is, this frame needs to be UF9 but I am not sure)
    2. mm per pixel of the image.(this may be magnification value. Does It is constant for camera settings? )

looking for your response.

Thanks to all.

Advertising from our partners