Robot Search and Locate

• I have an application where the robot will pick up a flat piece of aluminum that is 24 inches by 36 inches from a bin. The robot needs to accurately know the location of the part in the gripper within 5mm. The bin is intentionally oversized by a margin greater than that. Vision isn't an option and the customer wants to use laser sensors looking down and have the robot move around to find the location. I am struggling with finding a good way to do this. I am testing using remote TCP option but it doesn't seem to work the way i want it to. Has anyone done something similar that they could give me some idea's?

Thanks!

• Interesting.

I would use two laser switches for this application. Search for the edge of the plate using one, and once found, rotate about that switch with another switch located in such a way to detect a second edge that is perpendicular to the first edge. Once you find both edges, you can proceed to pick.

Of course, depending on the thickness, the type and accuracy of laser switch you will need will vary greatly.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

Advertising from our partners