Upgrade KRC2 cabinet from Win95 to WinXP

• We are trying to upgrade un KRC2 cabinet from Win95 to WinXP (no Ed05). We seem to have the proper hardware

* 320 RAM RAM
    * Soyo Motherboard 733MHz
    * new DSE-IBS-C33 attached to the MFC2 which came with the win95 version in the KRC2 cabinet
    * RDW2 version 4.0 and 4.1

We have installed the following software version:
    - WinXP 2.00
    - Kuka softwareV 5.2.12 Built 69 HF3

WInXP starts up without error, yet when the Cross3 starts it gets stuck in 10% and it appears the following warning message (the starting up stops there),
    --------------------------
    Uploader dll: version 2.01
    device driver interface dll (lptw32.dll) version 3.10
    driver LPVXWRT.vxd/sys) version 5.00
    No shared Memory Network driver yet installed
    Error
    Invalid version of the device driver (LPVXWRT.vxd/sys)
    Actual version= 5.00
    needed version = 4.01

-------------------------------

Maybe we do not install the soft properly (drivers for the DSE) or maybe we are not installing the right software version.
    When we install the KUKA Soft 5.xx we do not install the SMSetup like we do with the 4.xx versions under Win95. I do not think that this is necessary with the 5.2.12 versions because it does it automatically, doesn't it?.
    It is clear to us that there is no connection between the DSE and the RDW2.
    Under windows95 we have install the SMSETUP in order to install the drivers for the DSE so there is communication with the RDW. That happens in win95 but we do not see any similar application with the Kuka version for XP (versions 5.xxX) . There is no SMSETUP.

Any suggestion?

Regards

Edited once, last by Daniel ().

• I can only speculate, but I'm pretty sure that KSS 5.x was only written to run on PCI motherboards, and all the W95 versions were written to work with ISA motherboards. My guess is that the LPVXWRT driver can't talk to an ISA-era MFC card. But I think the only way to know for sure would be to contact KUKA's hotline with the full hardware/software specs. There might be a way to "downgrade" the drivers in KSS 5.x without bringing down the whole stack.

• That's the issue, though, I suspect. KSS 5.x comes bundled with XP-SP2 (or is it SP3?). I know there are "break points" in the upgrade path that KUKA supports, though I don't know the details offhand -- there's a limit to how high a KSS revision level can be used on an older controller.

It might be possible to "hack" KSS 5.x to work on the older motherboard/MFC setup, perhaps by replacing the newer LPVXWRT.VXD driver, but that's pure speculation on my part. Probably the only people who can answer that question are KUKA Robotics.

• Hallo everyone,

I am also using this motherboard (733 MHz) for my office pc and I am running KSS V4.1 up tp KSS V5.6 without any problems.

The combinations I have:

KSS V4.1 Win95
    KSS V5.2 WinXPe 1.0 Build7 (Win XPe)
    KSS V5.3 WinXPe 1.1 Build 10 or WinXPe 2.0 Build2 (Win XPe SP1 or Win XPe SP2)
    KSS V5.4 WinXPe 1.1 Build 10 (Win XPe SP1 - Win XPe SP2 optional, if you do not use any additional network card)
    KSS V5.5 WinXPe 2.0 Build 2 (Win XPe SP2)
    KSS V5.6 WinXPe 2.0 Build 2 (Win XPe SP2)

I would need to check whether the shared memory driver will be installed with the operating system or the KUKA Software - at the moment do not remember because I built me a master disk and just copy if needed.

Regards

MOM

• When you say "Office PC," you mean a full-up unit complete with KFC card, correct? Basically an entire KRC just missing the actual arm (and servos, and PM1, etc)? You're not referring to an OfficeLite system, correct?

That would seem to prove me wrong about the limited upgrade path. But if that's the case, then Daniel's problem becomes very puzzling.

• About the WinXP , someone pass me an image which worked.

"Windows XP embedded Version 2002
    Intel Celeron 734MHz 384 Mb RAM
    Microsoft Windows 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.040919-1003)

KRC V5.2. HF5 version GUI: 1.2.25.0 B69

That means that there is something special to be done when installing the software.

In the 4.1.4 versions under Win95 have to install the SMSETUP in order to install the driver for the DSE. In the WINXP soft there is nothing like that but there must be a way to load this driver. Maybe it has a different name with this version.Or this driver is loaded automatically?

Someone have installation manual for KSS 5.x.x?
    Thanks,

Edited once, last by Daniel ().

• Hi,

I'm looking to buy a robot and for my budget they are on krc1. But for the futur, I have in mind to upgrade it, if the software need it.

So what do I need to ask to the seller about the hardware, to know if it would be possible to upgrade with no nightmares :winking_face: And what would be the cost ?

Thanks

• Very bad idea.
    KRC1 is outdated and there is no more support for it.
    KUKA do not sell parts for it and if they do it will be very expensive.
    There is no possibilities to update software past WIN95 (Kuka System Software 4.x)
    KRC1 will not run with WINXP period.

My advice - don't buy it.

• Hello Daniel,

<deleted>

Regards,

Elijah Phillips

• You are aware this is legally protected software you are asking for. This kind of questions can get ypu banned according to the forum rules. The only one who can provide a legal copy is KUKA.

Fubini

• Short summery:

WinXPe version depends on Mainboard version

KSS Versions depends on WinXPe versions

You may run kss v5.? running under WinXPe? versions on kr C2.

As Fubini said:

Buying or having a kr c2 system originally bought with win95 and then upgrading to winXPe without permission (buying) from kuka is violating legal law and is actually not supported anymore!

• There is no need SMSetup.inf because KSS installation already install it.

MFC ISA+DSE IBS C33 can work until KSS 5.5. Upwards versions will not work because it is using MFC3 board with PCI bus. Generally KSS's until 5.5 can work all editions latest of Xpe. But you should use special Xpe for Kuka system.

- You can check on Windows environment Control Panel-> Network connections ->Virtual RTOS Network board available ?

- Is the IP address correct ? You should set IP Address 192.0.1.2 of adapter.

Cross 3 fault messages tell you there is wrong driver for KSS. You can try uninstall RTOS network adapter with device Manager of windows and try clean install to KSS. If not help to you just copy image from running robot and restore it. As other guys said: is violating legal law. Just try it, if this will work buy from kuka.

Advertising from our partners