Buy old robot, programing, 2D/3D file, first buy

• Hi,

thanks for a good forum.

I often see auctions selling older robots of models 1400, 2400, 4400, 6400, 6600 with different control systems such as: M97A, M98A, M98, and rarely but also M2000 & M2008,

I have understood that they are; S4, S4c and S4C + control systems.

I know that it is possible to program the robot with teachpedent for simpler tasks, but what do I do if I want to use the robot for milling 2D / 3D models? how do I go from 2D / 3D cad file to cad/cam to rapid and get it made?

The free version of robot studio only uses IRC5 and a IRC5 controller is not cheap .. I can program simpler things in IRC5.

how would you do that? is there any third party sortware that you all work with?

I am now looking at IRB1400 with M97A or IRB2400L with M98A

or what controller should i buy?

with kind regards Claes

Edited once, last by Swebot ().

• Place your Ad here!
  • Swebot

Changed the title of the thread from “Buy older robot, programing, 2D/3D file, first buy” to “Buy old robot, programing, 2D/3D file, first buy”.
  • I've done this with Fusion 360, and 2D paths for plasma cutting. I wrote a custom post processor to output a Rapid program with the points. I hard coded the quaternion portion of the moves always be up though.

I've got an M98 controller (S4C) with a 6400 arm.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• thanks for reply, is it so with all controllers? Even S4c+? It not easy to make it run, i vill lock in to it, your way.

Was looking att robotDK but i did not find my robobots there.

Is it any way els?

I werd thatit is not a simpel solution to this.

• I werd thatit is not a simpel solution to this.

There's no simple solution b/c it's not a simple task. Generating a robotic milling path is much more complicated than generating one for a CNC machine. Robots have much more complex kinematics.

Of course, if you want "simple," you can just pay the going price for RobotMaster or another professional-grade tool that handles this task. Of course, it won't be cheap.

• Yeah, like SkyeFire said, nothing really simple (cheap) is out there. My method does zero kinematic simulation, and relies on the user to place the part in an area of the work space that will be reachable, and update a work object.

I've attached an example of the output of the post processor (torch.txt, renamed from .mod), the post (abb.txt, renamed from .cps), and here is a link to the video of the arm cutting:

https://youtu.be/gi5keYhW-8Y

Also, I hope you plan on milling soft materials without dimensional requirements, as robots are not CNC machines, and will vary by up to several millimeters from a path created offline. There are expensive volumetric calibration routines that will lessen this error, but it will still be there. Also robots are nowhere near stiff as a CNC machine. They will flex under the tooling load that milling anything remotely hard will create.

• hey, thanks you all for replaying.

#Nation , i looked att your files and it a lot of movement. But yoy must need som software to generate all the "jmove" or do you use a pensil and a paper under?

#robiman

How du do you convert from gcode to rapid?

• Nation , i looked att your files and it a lot of movement. But yoy must need som software to generate all the "jmove" or do you use a pensil and a paper under?

I use the manufacturing mode in fusion 360 with the plasma/laser mode when selecting profiles to cut.

Fusion 360 then uses the post processor to create robot code. None of it is hand written.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• thanks for reply!

Aaa, okej, i I thougth so. vill look in to fusion 360,

I thougth a robot like IRB 6400r had better precision without any special add-on programs.

I got 2 choice:

buy a ABB robot like 2400 or a 6400

or

a DIY cnc router table with Mach3.

I will use for cnc milling for woodworking and use it ass plasma cutting instedd

but on the tolerances are not so good on a robot you boys say. What is best way to go?

• If your part geometry changes little, this might be possible without additional software. It's not for the feint of heart - I used to work at Robotmaster, and I have an employee using a post-processor I created to go from MasterCAM to Robotstudio for simulation, and then to milling. Even with my expertise, he's struggling a bit to make it work on a spare 2400 with an IRC5 controller.

I have a hard time recommending a single person or small shop attempt to get a system like this working for milling for anything outside of prototype, concept, etc.

Taylor Guitars - Robotics Engineer
    - IRC5 IRB4400
    - IRC5 IRB2400
    - S4C+ IRB4600
    - S4 IRB2400
    - Epson G3-351 RC180