KUKA servo controlled press

• So we are planning to use robot external axis to control press. This press force should be possible to control with parameter. I was looking from manual and found out some commands.

With this command I can set up maybe force how much servo should use "force"

SET_TORQUE_LIMITS(8, {lower -xxxx, upper xxxx, monitor #OFF, max_vel 0.5, max_lag 200})

But then what I know from previous projects. Servo will get heat pretty fast even servo power is used for keeping the wanted forced. Does anybody has idea how that servo can be set to "brake" and then it's not heating so much.

Of course this whole thing/solution is based on idea that servo is strong/big enough and it's brake is also strong enough to keep to force.

If anybody has any example about code how this should be me. That would be really nice

• With this command I can set up maybe force how much servo should use "force"

SET_TORQUE_LIMITS(8, {lower -xxxx, upper xxxx, monitor #OFF, max_vel 0.5, max_lag 200})

That's for collision detection. You want "soft servo" mode.

Does anybody has idea how that servo can be set to "brake" and then it's not heating so much.

A KRC will switch servos from Servo Holding to Brake Holding when motion has been stopped for more than the settings in the $BRK_DEL_*** variables. There is not a command to deliberately switch to Brake holding "on demand."

To avoid having the external axis brake switch on/off along with the arm, you'll need to place the external axis on its own brake channel. On a KRC2, this would require an SMB. On a KRC4, I don't think additional hardware is required, although E7 and E8 might be required to share the same braking mode. $BRK_MODE controls how the different axis groups interact.

Advertising from our partners