Roboguide, advice to do the first steps correctly in a real application

• Hi guys!

I have two questions that will probably seem very basic to you, but I am to do my first real simulation and installation with fanuc robots and need advice from your experience :smiling_face:

1) When you prepare the simulation with Roboguide for a real project with new robots, Is it normal to ask for a backup "All of above" to the fanuc customer local supplier? Then you start the simulation from this backup? If not, what is the recommended way? I am asking this because we will have DCS extras installed on the robots and I would like to try as much as I can in the office.

Any advice related to this first steps will be appreciated.

2) The machine we are working on, is a pick and place application. How you guys measure the machine working object x,y,z in roboguide and how you adapt this in the real installation? Are you using the robot's tool directly to measure this points?

Thank you!

• 1. If you can get a backup that would be nice just to ensure you have all the same options selected. If it is a new robot, with no programs created yet, and they cannot get a backup you could also just ask for a list of the software options ordered.

2. On a new robot I would assume the workcell isn't assembled yet? You would import a CAD file of the workcell design. On an existing robot, hopefully they have CAD and user frames taught. In any case the answer is user and tool frames.

• Hi HawkME,

Thank you for your fast answer, this really helps :smiling_face:

1) I will ask fanuc for the backups or a list of all the options installed on each robot.

2) We are working with new robots and I have a dwg file with the layout and distances between robots and machines. I also have step files from the machines (converted to obj)

My initial idea is to only request to the mech.designer to add a removable threaded rod into the robot grippers (tools). This way I can measure the machine frame x,y,z in the simulation and in real life, but I am not sure if I am doing the most optimized procedure or not... i.e. Is it normal for a mechanical designer to provide me with tcp and user frame coordinates of the machine for the simulation or is better to find my way to define this on Roboguide?

• You will want the mechanical designer to create a removable threaded rod on the robot end effector and also 3 on the machine fixture (origin, X, and Y). Then have him give you the dimensions of the origin point and end effector pointer (They don't have to be super accurate).

Then you use those pointers as your Tool frame and User frame in all of your programs. When you transfer to the real machine simple teach the tool frame and user frame and it should line up very close.

• Hi HawkME,

It took time for me to understand your explanation, but now I do. Wow this is a good advice!, thank you for the valuable info, if this works, it will save a lot of time. I'll put in practice soon.

Advertising from our partners