C Series, Error 1553, Encoder Response Error

• Anyone ever encountered error 1553? Encoder Response Error, In my case joints 1-6. Since every axis is triggering the error its making me think its in a communication line vs a specific servo. I checked the harnesses, swapped out X3 (didn't make any difference). Then I swapped out the 1GB board powered up same error on power up. Reset the controller again, and haven't had any issues so far...

Looking through the electrical troubleshooting manual it looks like the next step is to replace the 1FG board.

My question is, could the servo amplifier be causing this issue?

It seems to occur pretty randomly and the occurrence has been more frequent recently.

Edited once, last by Lantz ().

• Looks like the signal to trigger that error would come through the CN8 connector on the 1FG board?

Maybe just a failing communication line from the 1FG board?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this issue.

The error is still triggering randomly.

• 1FG would be my guess too.

Maybe worth checking batteries as one of them could be effecting the circuit (very rare to occur).

The 1FG receives +12v from the Controller and goes through DC to DC convertor converting to +5V to supply ALL encoder supplies.

This +12V is supplied to CN8 from X3/X3A umbilical from the Controller on Z Series.

This +12V is sourced from 1GB from AVR (worth checking the AVR output on 1GA/HA Board Test Pins).

However, 1GB will report error if +12V line is low from the AVR.

The most common part on the 1FG to go on this is the large capacitor, as with all electrolytic caps, they dry out, start to bulge and start acting like a resistor or become short circuit effectively killing the supply rail it's on.

Hope this helps..........:top:

• Thanks! That defiantly helps I've been suspect of a power supply issue specifically the DC to DC on the 1FG board.

Do the capacitors on the 1FG board hold the charge for the battery replacement?

Will removing the 1FG board cause me to loose data on the 1GV board?

Its been a long time since I purchased new batteries. Where is the best place online to source those through?

• Do the capacitors on the 1FG board hold the charge for the battery replacement?

No, each encoder assembly contains it's own storage capacitor so any disconnection of the battery on 1FG/replacement of 1FG really should be done in less than 30mins.

Will removing the 1FG board cause me to loose data on the 1GV board?

No, robot model, encoder data and maintenance logs are stored in flash on the board so no loss of data should occur.

Its been a long time since I purchased new batteries. Where is the best place online to source those through?

I cannot answer that one, as I source all batteries direct from Kawasaki distributors as they come supplied already with the connector assembly to plug straight in.

Not sure if you can get an exact replacement with harness from anywhere, but I expect people have made their own assemblies up to reduce on cost.

• Digging through the manual it looks like there is a capacitor in each individual servo?

I'm assuming that's what maintains the data if I unhook the 1FG?

:top:........Yes, capacitor in each encoder module mounted to the back of the Servo.

If you ever get the chance, remove the cover of the encoder and you'll see the top of the capacitor.

Just watch out for the cable assembly as it will come away with the cover (but still be connected).

• Is the SAVE/ROB command specific to the data being stored on the 1GV board?

I want to make sure I have a backup before I replace the board.

I had to dig back through my emails but looks like the part for the battery is Kawasaki 2LS17500-TOY.

• SAVE/ROB is a generic save command just for the robot data not specific for the 1GV board.

(as far as I know, there is no specific save command just for 1GV board).

Do a full save of everything, that way you have everything, that would be my recommendation.

Kawasaki 2LS17500-TOY

Couldn't be sure, I only know them as Kawasaki Ordering Part No. 50750 - 1007 or the later ones 50750 - 1018.

• Nah, revision changes were mainly down to simple things like:

- Board manufactured by alternative supplier.

- Some components are obsolete from original design and have been sourced from another supplier.

- Print re-design on the board.

As far as operation and layout is concerned, they are usually the same so you should have no issues.

Advertising from our partners