IR-ETN connect to KUKA KRC4

• hi

I'm trying to connect IR-ETN(WEINTEK) to KUKA KRC4 with Ethernet.

I use EasyRemoteIO to generate a ".eds" about IR-ETN, and install it to Workvisual.

I'm not sure if there are any parameters that I haven't set.

172.31.147 is the IP of KRC4

172.31.44 is my computer's IP

172.31.212 is the IP of IR-ETN

I only need to sent 4 bytes to KRC4

I don't know how to attach other pictures:loudly_crying_face:

I'll attach them I will attach it latter

and...sorry for my bad English

Edited once, last by leoo ().

• You appear to be using Ethernet/IP. Correct?

What is an IR-ETN?

Is the robot acting as Scanner or Device?

Your last photo shows a CodeSys project using ModBus. Is this project supposed to run on the IR-ETN? There is no Ethernet/IP configuration in the CodeSys project.

Assuming that the robot is intended to be the scanner, and CodeSys is intended to be the adapter, your hardware tree in CodeSys should include an Ethernet/IP branch somewhat like this:

• In the manual of weintek ir-etn I only found something about Modbus IP.

You can't use it with Kuka Ethernet IP, that are different protocols.

Edit: SkyeFire: think he uses CodeSys project for creating the Eds file. It's confusing that ethernet/IP and modbus/IP both use Eds files for configuration, but are incompatible protocols.

• think he uses CodeSys project for creating the Eds file. It's confusing that ethernet/IP and modbus/IP both use Eds files for configuration, but are incompatible protocols.

Hm. I hadn't run into that -- the (very little) ModBus work I've done didn't use any EDS file equivalent, just manually writing the specs into the ModBus device in CodeSys from the product datasheet.

• Yes, I want to connect them by Ethernet/IP.

IR-ETN is a PLC . It will get signal from a Manual Pulse Generator, and return a number which is the distance that MPG turned.

Maybe KRC4 is the Scanner ,and IR-ETN will be the Adapter?

I'll try to Create another program only used Ethernet/IP.

Edited once, last by leoo ().

• In the manual of weintek ir-etn I only found something about Modbus IP.

You can't use it with Kuka Ethernet IP, that are different protocols.

Edit: SkyeFire: think he uses CodeSys project for creating the Eds file. It's confusing that ethernet/IP and modbus/IP both use Eds files for configuration, but are incompatible protocols.

Weintek ir-etn should be able to use Ethernet/IP.

I use EasyRemoteIO to create the eds file of IR-ETN , but i'm not sure I should install the file to where . WorkVisual ? Codesys?

And...Should I avoid to use modbus IP? Because KRC4 seems Does not support this protocol ?

• IR-ETN is not a PLC, it is a bus coupler (part of an I/O system) that allows connecting I/Os to some fieldbus.

fieldbus nodes have specific role - master or slave.

in your case KRC is EthernetIP master and this device is EthernetIP slave.

each slave must have some sort of device description file. this file is fieldbus specific.

it need to be added into configuration of master so that master is aware of slave function, capabilities etc...

in this case you would import this file into WorkVisual.

if you have a PLC configured with Codesys, then this PLC would be master and you would have to import the file into Codesys to parametrize PLC. This could be Modbus.

but if robot still needs access to these I/Os, you would need to create another network between KRC and the PLC. This could be EthernetIP.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I'm not sure offhand if KUKA makes a ModBus option for the KRC4.

But for the PLC<>Robot connection, you need either EtherNet/IP or ModBus -- not both. Your screenshots were mixing incompatible protocols, which is creating confusion.

EDS files define devices, not scanners. So if you have created an EDS file for the PLC, this implies that you intend to use the robot as scanner, and the PLC as device. In this case, the EDS file for the PLC needs to be added to WorkVisual.

• sorry,I confused them

I have imported eds to WorkVisual, and connected them in IOmapping.((as attached

But I don't know how to configure my PLC(by using codesys?).

Or my PLC is a slave so no configuration is required?

• I'm not sure offhand if KUKA makes a ModBus option for the KRC4.

But for the PLC<>Robot connection, you need either EtherNet/IP or ModBus -- not both. Your screenshots were mixing incompatible protocols, which is creating confusion.

EDS files define devices, not scanners. So if you have created an EDS file for the PLC, this implies that you intend to use the robot as scanner, and the PLC as device. In this case, the EDS file for the PLC needs to be added to WorkVisual.

I'm sorry for make you confused. I'll correct that.

PLC is a slave, so I don't need to import any eds file to codesys?

• i find that the posts are quite confusing...

my understanding is that there is no PLC, just KRC4 (EIP master) and IR_ETN (EIP slave).

when it comes to slaves:

some bus couplers will work (using defaults) without specific configuration made by user. they may be able to work just by having correct address and nothing more. others may require additional more detailed configuration including setting IO sizes, slot configuration, I/O mapping etc.

not sure if IR_ETN falls into one or another category.

when it comes to masters:

master need to know slaves and their parametrization. this is why configuration software used to configure master requires device description file for each of the slaves (EDS, GSD, ESI, GSDML, XML etc. depending which type of fieldbus is used). so yes, WorkVisual will need to get the EDS for the IR-ETN. for simple cases WorkVisual can also use generic EDS template but it is always preferred to use specific one if available.

also Workvisual uses different way to import device description files for EthernetIP (and only for EtherentIP). Check WoV and EthernetIP manuals

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners