OPC-UA Communication between FANUC robot and Allen-Bradley HMI (without PLC)

• Hi everyone,

I want to be able to establish a connection between my CRX Fanuc Robot and an Allen-Bradley HMI without using any PLC. The goal is to utilize the "HMI Device (SNPX) (R553)" option on the robot so that it acts as an OPC-UA Server and have an Allen-Bradley HMI that acts as the OPC-UA Client so that I can access the robot I/Os and Registers.

Has any of you done something similar (with other HMI companies maybe)?

I am being told that Allen-Bradley HMIs can be OPC-UA clients when used with Kepware!? What implication does this have knowing that I want a "stand alone" HMI (no plc)?

Thanks in advance.

• I am being told that Allen-Bradley HMIs can be OPC-UA clients when used with Kepware!?

That sounds like you would not be able to have a "stand alone" HMI. I think this means

HMI-> Kepware -> Robot

and

Robot->Kepware->HMI

with Kepware running on a server or PC. We have used Kepware like this as a middle-man between a robot and an ERP system because the ERP system did not support OPC-UA.

• I've done a small amount of testing of OPC-UA in RoboGuide. It's pretty simple and straightforward. I did find that, even if the Fanuc has the SNPX option installed, the SNPX option does not support OPC before version 9.0, or maybe 9.1 -- I don't recall precisely.

The trick is finding an HMI that acts as an OPC-UA client withouta PLC. I haven't seen one. Most of the "standalone" OPC-UA HMIs I've seen are actually software running on stock PCs, often using a web-page front end with the OPC-UA client running "under" it, or even a web page with the OPC-UA client running in JavaScript as part of the web page.

Most "off the shelf" solutions seem to rely on "middleware" like KepWare, or OpenAutomation, or another competitor.

Advertising from our partners