R-J3iB Local Stop Unit to R-J3iC (R-30iA) Controller

• Received this cell in that was able to jog all axes (including both headstocks that I can only assume were connected to the LSU's). They couldn't get the LSU's to work after tearing down, cleaning equipment/platforms/robots and putting back together. I'm not sure how this was wired up at all to work since the R-J3iB LSU unit doesn't seem to connect to the R-30iA 6-axis servo amplifier (missing connections like CFR7) according to the R-J3iB LSU and R-30iA LSU Schematics I've found on local network/CRC.

I'm not familiar with these older robot controllers, so I'm hoping someone's brain can get shaken to help me out here. Would these two items work together? I'm thinking I need to find similar connections that the R-J3iB LSU would need that the R-30iA 6-Axis Servo Amp could send? and/or the Process I/O Board that is present too?

• Think I'm getting somewhere...So the LSU originally would originally need RDI7, RDI8 and RDO8 for Motor Disconnected, Local Stop Request and Motor On Command (respectively) from the R-J3iB 6-Axis Servo Amp's CRF7 connector.

It seems though that those three signals (or at least Input #1 and the Output) should come from Standard Operator Panel Inputs/Outputs. So if I can figure out where those are on the Panel Board I may head in the right direction.

• I've got most of this LSU hookup figured out except for the transformer. I have 3 leads coming out of the transformer: 0V, 100V and 200V. *EDIT: Also out of connector CP2 of the ESTOP PC BD, I have two wire: One is labeled "Common" the other is labeled "200VAC".

I cannot figure out from the schematics I have (attached) how to wire up the Transformer to Terminal Block 8. The schematics are a little confusing and also my electrical knowledge is so-so.

It all comes down to which terminals on TB8 get which voltage? Would there be two 200VAC leads that go to CN1?

WOuld there be two 100VAC leads that go to CN3?

That's what confuses me as I"m used to having a hot wire and a common wire, so I feel like the 100B of CN3 would be a common wire going back to the terminal block?

As well as on CN1...the 200VAC IN label is above the second wire, which leads me to believe the bottom wire of CN1 is my hot wire and the top wire is my common wire?

Any help is much appreciated. I've reached out to FANUC about this, but they were not sure enough to give me a direct answer either. Thank you for any help that may be provided.

• Wired up to my best guess...nothing is smoking, so I guess I guessed right with the wiring. I think I"ll come back to this thread in a bit with a final update on how this Rj3iB local stop unit has been wired to a R-30iA cabinet. Just in case anyone else has to go through this in the future!

• Have not been able to get brakes to release on either of my headstocks. Putting 100 VAC in to the board, but I believe the open contact of relay KA2 is prohibiting the power getting to CN4/CN5. Giving up on this route and going with an aux brake board. It has been suggested to have both headstocks attached to Robot 1's brake circuit to get this job done, but I'm hesitant on doing that if an operator is going to be loading one headstock while the robots are servicing another headstock...

Either way...if anyone needs to wire up R-J3iB to R-30iA...Off of the R-30iA 6-Axis Servo Amp there is connector CR97. You will need a cable that comes from that connector using 1 to 3 of the break release signals (A1-A3) as well as the 0V (B2). These wires will connect to TB2-8 (0V) and TB2-9 (Brake Release 1, 2 or 3). We used a cable from our panel board break out board which is connector CRM63. This cable brought the signals OPDO3, OPDO4, OPDI1, OPDI2, OPDI3 and OPDI4 to the Local Stop Unit. These signals are for: Motor On Command (OPDO), Local Stop Request (OPDI2 or OPDI4) and Motor Disconnected (OPDI1 or 3). These signals are plugged into TB2-10, 11 and 12 of each Local Stop Unit you have in the system.

We also had wires attached to the "Safe to Enter" portion (Pins TB2-1 and 2). We only had one wire going to the "Customer supplied local stop request" which is pin TB2-4.

Local stop unit seems to be switching inputs/outputs correctly. Just can't get KA2 to flip. Maybe something with the wiring is wrong, but hopefully if someone ever needs this knowledge it's at least here now.

Advertising from our partners