Help setting up our (first) used robot

• Our machine shop purchased a production CNC lathe cell that included a robot. We have never used robots before, but have been discussing it for a long time so this was the perfect opportunity to get our feet wet. We will not be using the actual production cell, we may scavenge parts for other projects but we just want the robot by itself while we learn how to use it.

I powered the robot on for the first time yesterday and was unable to clear an external estop alarm, as well as some warning about a magazine and a conveyor.

I'm assuming because the robot was reading all sorts of sensors in the cell that are now disconnected it is getting alarms. Would it be wise (is it even possible?) to do a factory reset of the control? Is there any software or parameters on the robot we may lose that we should backup first?

Really have no idea where to begin, but very excited to start!

• Hi GiroDyno

At the bottom of the pendant there is a button I/O, press it

The on the screen, select Type (F1)

I guess those on your picture are digital i/o, select digital i/o and moving the cursor, search for the i/o showed on your picture

Send a picture

Retired but still helping

• First thing you should do is get a blank USB flash drive and take an image backup. Menu>File>Backup controller as images. Then after you have that backup feel free to do what you want as far as deleting unused TP programs or resetting to factory. It looks like there is some BG logic that needs to be stopped. Menu>BG Logic, select each running program and press F# softkey to stop them.

As for the External E-stop. There are terminals inside the cabinet (TBOP13) and a diagram on the door that has labels for EES (External E-Stop). There are 4 terminals for EES. You need to jumper EES1 to EES11, and jumper EES2 to EES21.

• I made a backup of the MD, ASCII, and IMG files.

I was able to stop the BG Logic and clear those faults.

I jumpered the EES wires.

The robot moves! So cool! Thanks for your help!

I'm assuming it's probably a good idea to factory reset now to clear any programs or settings the previous owners had setup, is there any reason not to since we have backups?

• I would make certain you actually have an "image" backup first. The files in an image backup are named FROM and SRAM.

If you have that then you are good to do an init load or redo the all software installation assuming you have the original software.

• Attempting to run a simple point to point program following this video

I immediately get some (new) alarms, are these residuals from the other programs on the robot?

I haven't wiped the memory yet, but I did confirm I have all the backups.

Another question is how do I change my display to show the program menu (2:50) it has some functions like edit and test that I cannot find navigating through the menus I've been seeing, and it also looks a bit "friendlier"...

• Hi

"I immediately get some (new) alarms, are these residuals from the other programs on the robot?"

Show the alarms, we don't have a clue about them

The one on the picture is because you have the fence opened and HawkME gave you an answer

Are you writing about SYST-005 alarms ?. You are trying to run a program in auto but the robot has the variables set to start from an external device. Post a picture of the SYSTEM, Configuration

"Another question is how do I change my display to show the program menu"

What do you call program menu ? The list of program on the robot ? Press SELECT

• "The one on the picture is because you have the fence opened and HawkME gave you an answer"
    I followed those directions and was able to clear the alarms and manually drive the robot. These are different alarms coming from trying to run a program, they are shown in the picture.

"You are trying to run a program in auto but the robot has the variables set to start from an external device. Post a picture of the SYSTEM, Configuration"

This is why I was wondering if I should reset the robot, to remove any old programs or parameters that may interfere with the operation of the robot. Picture is shown, can't figure out how to attach more than one at a time, otherwise I'd get you the alarm history as well.

Nobody here has any robot experience so I really appreciate the helpful walkthroughs.

• GiroDyno

Ok you have line 7, FALSE, meaning "the robot is not listening to a PLC"

Check around line 40 if you have one that it says Remote, press choice and make it Local

Also, do you abort the programs at anytime (FUNCTION, ABORT) ?

Try to run a simple program and please, take pictures, even better Do you know how to connect the robot to your browser (internet explorer) ? We should do that first to get the information from the robot to us flowlesly, you can do screen shots.. What controller do you have ?

• LR Mate 200iD robot R30iB Mate controller.

Not sure how to get it to output any more information, I started a shared google photos album to post more pictures at a time, it has the old ones in it as well. https://photos.app.goo.gl/uVeTysEgJjkHD6ibA

The program I made is 5 or 6 saved points I made by jogging the robot manually, there isn't any logic or functions in it, just points.

I change system/config 43 Remote/Local setup from External I/O to Local, still get alarms like Fence Open and System Error.

• I had shorted EES1 to EES11, and EES2 to EES21 in the big cabinet as per Hawks post to get the robot to jog.

I've added pictures of the controller boards to the google photos album.

• I had shorted EES1 to EES11, and EES2 to EES21 in the big cabinet as per Hawks post to get the robot to jog.

I've added pictures of the controller boards to the google photos album.

Those terminals are for the External E-Stop. The fence circuit is right next to the EES connectors, jumper EAS1 to EAS11 and EAS2 to EAS21. Obviously due to safety reasons this isn't how you should run the robot; but should make the fence open error go away for testing purposes.

• First press FCTN>Abort on the Teach pendant.

Then you need to decide if you are running in auto or teach mode.

If you want to run in auto then turn the key switch on the controller to auto and the switch on the TP to off.

If you want to jog in teach mode, then turn the controller to T1 and the TP to on.

If the 2 switches don't agree then you will get those errors.

Next verify that the EES wiring is correctly jumped. Check it with an ohm meter to verify. Also ensure that the controller door is closed and latched shut.

• The labels on the wires were so small it was nearly impossible to distinguish between EES and EAS, I'm glad you pointed them out as being different.

I was able to jumper the EES and EAS signal wires and clear all the emergency stop and fence alarms.

I am now able to program a basic point to point program on the teach pendant and run the robot in auto mode!

Thanks for the input everybody

Advertising from our partners