LTL Freight Companies & Tips for Shipping Robots?

• Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations for LTL Freight companies that are reasonable and have experience shipping robots in the Midwest?

I have a Robot arm and Controller that are crated and ready to go, but so far have only found Sky High rates, or companies with terrible reputations.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share?

Thanks!

• Hi HawkME and Panic Mode,

Thanks for your responses.

I’m shipping from IL, USA to NJ, USA.

It’s an old Motoman UP20 Arm & Controller, unknown working condition, weight around 1200 Lbs. bought for less than $1000, and I’m hoping to ship for under $500. I’ve been getting quotes from 700.00 to $2000.

Am I being unrealistic? I had the equipment crated because some LTL companies wouldn’t touch it otherwise, and I thought that would make the rate lower, but it seems it had the opposite effect!

Thanks for any thoughts!

• Hi Lemster68,

Thanks for your suggestion... I did try UShip and got a bunch of quotes, but they all were above what I thought was a fair price... The whole LTL Freight system is so convoluted that I really can't figure out what a "Fair" price is. They all say it's based on weight & dimensions, multiplied by the Freight Class of the items... But the Class is so subjective - or at least it seems that way to me - that it's laughable! I've had quotes that say it's Class 75, and quotes that say 150 and even higher. This drastically changes the total price. But everyone I've talked to (in emails) seems totally set regarding their quotes - and is unwilling to budge on price. Do you know anything about this whole world?

Thanks.

• I think you will be hard pressed to get a lower price unless you go with some unconventional means of transportation (like hiring a person on craigslist with a flat-bed trailer and a pickup truck).

Advertising from our partners