RobotStudio Online -- cannot find controllers

• RS 2019 on Windows 10, IRC5s running RW 6.09

I'm running into a rather silly issue: I'm connected to a network that has several IRC5s on it, and I can ping them, but RS can't find them. Even if I type in the IP addresses manually, RS acts like there are no robots on the network.

If I change my IP address to 192.168.125.*, and connect directly to each robot's management port, I have no issues. But I'd really like to be able to connect to the robots over the general network, without running all over dragging an ethernet cable with me.

RS has full access permissions for my ethernet port, and the fact that RS works over the direct connection suggests to me that my remote-connection issues aren't caused by a Windows setting. The network topology is rather sloppy, but as long as I can ping the robots without issue, RS ought to be able to find them, yes?

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any.

• Hello—You may wish to look in the Operating manual IRC5 Integrator's guide, (3HAC050940-001) through section 10.5.3 ABB Robotics IRC5 product specific requirements to see if your PC permissions are inline with what is needed.

Edited 3 times, last by SomeTekk ().

• System.xml, in the backup folder

Okay, here's what it lists for controller options:

English

997-3 CIP Safety Adapter

613-1 Collision Detection

841-1 EtherNet/IP Scanner/Adapter

1125-2 SafeMove Pro

996-1 Safety Module

608-1 World Zones

RobotWare Base

And Robot options (probably not relevant):

Axis Calibration

Pendelum Calibration

Motor Commutation

Service Info System

Drive System IRB 460/640/660/760/4600/66xx/6700

• Hello—You may wish to look in the Operating manual IRC5 Integrator's guide, (3HAC050940-001) through section 10.5.3 ABB Robotics IRC5 product specific requirements to see if your PC permissions are inline with what is needed.

Hmmm... Section 2.2.3, "set up the network connection", seems to imply that for robots set up the way these are (with "Use no IP address" selected), it won't be possible to connect to the robot over the network.

So, it seems I have three different places to set the robot IP: on that pendant menu, in RobotStudio under Configuration>Communication>IP Setting, and the third for the CIP-Safe module in the SafeMove configuration.

Now, the robot Ethernet/IP and CIP-Safe work right now, using these settings:

I can ping the robot at that IP, but RS can't find it.

Does this mean that the LAN3 setting, and the IP address set from the pendant menu, are separate things? I never tried setting the IP under the Pendant menu (Controller Settings>Network), b/c EIP and CIP were working. If I do set a static IP in the settings menu, does it need to be the same as the LAN3 and CIP IP, or would that cause a conflict?

• I do not want to have my interpretations send you down a wrong path.

I suggest checking the Application manual EtherNet/IP Scanner/Adapter, Chapter 2. There are a number of connection scenarios shown visually.

For an EIP network that was made to work for several IRC5's the guidance pasted below is from the manual specified above (Ch. 7 FAQ's):

The desired industrial network and factory network is on the same logical network but is it possible to have one logical network for the factory network and one logical network for the Ethernet/IP network? Is it possible to have a switch that separates the traffic?

1 In the I/O configuration under Industrial Network, configure the IP address,

subnet mask, gateway and destination of the Ethernet/IP network.

2 Restart the controller using the restart mode Start Boot Application.

3 Change the network settings (these are used for the WAN connector) and

choose the correct system.

4 Make sure that these two networks are on separate subnets.

5 Restart the controller.

Both EIP and RS networking were done on LAN3 (or maybe WAN—not sure because it was years ago and haven't done anything similar since), EIP on one subnet handled with RAPID parameters, and RobotStudio IP setting done with the Boot Application.

Edited once, last by SomeTekk: Update ().

Advertising from our partners