KRC5 micro. Controlling the analog output via the EtherCAT.

• Hello.

KRC5 micro.

I need to connect the analog output via EtherCAT.

I only have the EtherCAT Coupler (Beckhoff - EK1100) so far.

This analog output needs to be set in the technology program.
    We need to control the analog output very fast.

(I don't know why they came up with this. According to the customer, EtherCAT exchange is faster than Profinet).

I looked up that EtherCAT connects to port XF8 of the KEI interface.

Still need the configuration in WorkVIsual.

But I'm confused.

The IP address for the EtherCAT existing network in the project is the Profinet address.

Do I need to add another network for the EtherCAT Coupler?

I don't really understand how to control the analog output via the EtherCAT Beckhoff coupler.

I don't have the analog output module itself yet.

Any ideas on how to combine all this?
    Thanks.

• Can't the analogue I/Os be transmitted via the Profinet, which is why EtherCAT is used?

Is it possible to transmit analogue I/O via Profinet?

"Analog" signals can be sent over any bus. Regardless of which bus is being used, any analog values are converted into a digital value before being sent across the bus. This means that, if the analog device was mapped to a group of $OUTs instead of to one of the $ANOUTs, it would be possible to control the analog value via raw binary integers.

$ANOUT is simply an extra "translation" layer atop the binary data, converting the raw binary integer into a value between -1.0 and +1.0. $ANOUTs and $ANINs can best be thought of as "percentage" signals, ranging from 0 to 100% (positive or negative). Setting $ANOUT to 0.5 will cause the analog output device to produce 50% of it's rated maximum output. Depending on the module, that might be 5V, or 12mA, or some other electrical output.

• "Analog" signals can be sent over any bus. Regardless of which bus is being used, any analog values are converted into a digital value before being sent across the bus. This means that, if the analog device was mapped to a group of $OUTs instead of to one of the $ANOUTs, it would be possible to control the analog value via raw binary integers.

Thank you for your reply.

But I can't get the analog output to transfer to the digital inputs.

How do I do this correctly?

Thanks again.

• you really need take the training or read the manual. forum is no substitute for formal education, it is meant to discus non-obvious things and simply point you in the right direction.

some things to consider:

1. there are limits what can be mapped to what... for example when mapping signal direction need to match (directions of arrows need to match)

2. mapping requires that both sides are same size (in terms of number of bits). one the left you have an INT which is a 16 bit value, on the other side you have BOOL which is a single bit. obviously 16bit and 1bit are very different. if you like you can edit signals (group bits or split into bits - again, read the manual)

3. for digital computers everything is digital... so called "analog" value is basically any value that need to be represented by more than one bit. could be 3 bit, or 12 bit, or 24 bit... if you need to transfer "value" that is not boolean (or "digital"), just pack several bits together and use it like analog signal.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• 2. mapping requires that both sides are same size (in terms of number of bits). one the left you have an INT which is a 16 bit value, on the other side you have BOOL which is a single bit. obviously 16bit and 1bit are very different. if you like you can edit signals (group bits or split into bits - again, read the manual)

Thanks.
    That's why I asked how to combine 16 digital signals into a group.

• at the bottom of each window are few icons. one of them is pencil. it allow you to edit signals. details are in the manual

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• you really need take the training or read the manual. forum is no substitute for formal education, it is meant to discus non-obvious things and simply point you in the right direction.

It wasn't even a week before I started studying KUKA.

The forum saved me time.

Thank you.

Advertising from our partners