Opinions of Nachi Robots Please... MC20 & AX Controller

• Hi Everyone,

I am considering buying a surplus Nachi MC20-01 with older AX Controller... I haven't been able to find any info about them online other then basic specs!

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I am in US and trying to cobble together a robot at low cost for a one-off personal project (not as part of a line) as a camera platform for product cinematography.

I found one that looks to be in decent condition other than a lot of wear on the robot arm.

Any thoughts about this as opposed to an even older - but more common robot like a Motoman UP20?

Are parts and service even harder to find than old Yaskawa's?

Thanks for any Thoughts...

Deke

• I wouldn't use a Nachi for cinema-anything (anything at all, really, beyond very basic spot welding and material handling). Frankly, I wouldn't use any of the major brands other than KUKA or ABB for such an endeavor. Maybe Fanuc, but that's a big maybe.

And frankly, even with KUKA or ABB, most 2nd-hand robots are liable to be physically worn out and have questionable motion quality.

I suggest checking out the large threads on use-robot recommendations in the General forum.

• Hi Skyefire.... Thanks for replying.

I've heard some warnings about Nachi robots... You just make me start to believe them! I've read a bunch of posts all over this website - and others (as many as I could find!) about buying used robots. I know that I would be breaking two Cardinal Rules if I bought a used robot and controller: 1) No Guarantee and 2) No Full torture Test of All parameters and systems before buying.

Beyond this, I may be breaking another rule: 3) Don't buy Old Obsolete Robots that have questionable Support and a Lack of Parts, etc.

But the fact is, I don't have Thousands of dollars to spend on a newer, better system purchased from a dealer or reputable re-seller. So here I am - foolish and ignorant - trying to learn to swim right off the coast of Seal Island in South Africa, with Great Whites circling all around! I just don't know how else to do it except to jump in and hope for the best!

I've heard that Fanuc has gotten real stingy and makes you buy their $$ Blessings with their old robots.

I don't know about Kuka and ABB... I haven't found anything small enough to work for me. What do you think of Yaskawa/Motoman? How about Kawasaki?

I could use all the advice you can give me. But I am determined to try SOMETHING, and I don't want to join a Robot Club at a local school, etc.. I have software that can even out most bumps from the robot's motion, so if bearings are worn or it has some slop, it probably won't be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for any other thoughts you have!

Advertising from our partners