Safety Implementation

• I am curious if there is a more standard (common) way to implement safety devices within a robot cell. For example, if I have an E-stop, door gate interlock, and a light curtain, I could wire them directly to the terminal block (TBOP13) on the robot controller circuit board. I have the following controller: R-30iB Plus, cabinet A. However, what If I would like to use a safety controller such as the Banner XS26-2DE. In that case, I would prefer to use the master safety output relays from the safety controller to tell the robot safe/or not safe. So my initial question is an attempt to understand if it is typical (or possible) to use a safety controller to govern the robot controller? thanks

• UOP signals are only for non-safe signals. To connect safety signals such as fence or e-stop you can either wire these signals to the terminal block on the e-stop board or you can buy an additional safety IO board to get more safety related inputs and outputs than only EES and EAS.

Since Fanuc does not offer a F-Host functionality, you can also use a safety controller for all your safety signals/devices and communicate with the robot via safe fieldbus protocol, e.g. PROFIsafe or CIP Safety.

We normally use a safety controller as F-Host (master) and the robot controller as F-Device.

• However, a safety controller is cost-intensive and you need know how to program it. In case of simple safety tasks you can also think about using safety relais to implement your safe logic and then wire it to the appropriate inputs of the robot controller.

Advertising from our partners