Jog Frame Purpose

• I have a basic question about jog frames and their intended purpose. I have created both tool and user frames in the past and I understand how they are applied and why they are valuable. I am not clear on when you would create a jog frame. For example, if I just created UF(8) then I can simply set the current user frame to UF(8) and the robot will jog aligned with that user frame. So when would I need to create a jog frame?

Thanks

• It's hard to explain...but I've used them when I have a User Frame setup for a fixture, but still need to move in an off-angle way within that User Frame's area.

Best example I can think of...I was doing some cutting on a wall of a box. This box had a trapezoid like shape cut into it. I wanted to keep my tool in the orientation it was in (parallel with Z plane), but I wanted to move the tool at the angle of the trapezoid edge. So I setup a Jog Frame with just a W value of 13.5° or whatever it was...From that moment on I could keep my tool in the same orientation and then move it at the weird angle up and down.

Hopefully I explained that well enough to make sense!

• In that situation I would just switch to tool, rotate 13.5 degrees and jog straight on.

In my example I did not want to rotate the tool at all. I wanted to keep the tool parallel and perpendicular with the surfaces around it. Idk if that clears that up or not, internet words are hard sometimes haha.

• I have used them a few times.

#1 was everything in the cell parallel/perpendicular to each other, brilliant designer layed the robot out 45 degrees to everything in cell.

Set the Jogframe R to 45 and now you can jog linear to the cell. this I've seen a lot

#2 Robot was wall mounted on a rail 5ft in the air, z+ of robot was the direction of travel of the rail. Jogframe worked really good in that one

• I've found the usefulness of Jog Frames to be very few and far between. I did have one recently, oddly enough.

I'm making router cuts in a vertically angled face of a plastic part (boat helm) - two adjoining faces are at basically the same vertical angle, but rotated slightly around world Z to be at just a hair different angles. (I would guess about 5º). When I had to make adjustments to a few of the cut points, I was in a UF that I created for the center face. Made a quick jog frame on each adjoining face to adjust the positions quick. I should never really need to use those two as user frames, and you only get 9 User Frames to mess with. This robot runs 5 different part families, with different faces and angles on them. So I wanted to conserve the User frames for the main programs.

Advertising from our partners