Emergency warnings on new KUKA KR4 R600 C5

• Hello all,

I have recently started working with a Kuka KR4 robot with C5 controller. I have wired the Smart Pad, data and motor cables to the controller as shown in the attached picture. I have not yet been able to move the robot or make the requirement axes adjustments.

The warning interface on the Smart Pad shows the following error messages when I turn it on:

KSS00020: External Emergency stop

KSS00001: Emergency Stop

Since my safety PLC is not yet available, I was able to bypass the external emergency stop by activating Start Up Mode on the main menu, but the Emergency Stop warning KSS00001 remains.

Pressing or turning the Emergency device on the SmartPad has no effect on these warnings whatsoever. Could it be there is any local emergency wiring that I overlooked?

Any help with this situation is greatly appreciated.

• Welcome to the world of robotics. Before you can use robot you need to perform commissioning. Part of it is wiring of external safety devices (external estop and user safety). estop on teach pendant is an internal estop. check pinned topic READ FIRST and your robot documentation, specifically connectors XG11 and XG58 (used to be all together on X11).

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi luccaleao,

two years after your question, you probably won't need an answer anymore. But I had the same problem today, and stumbled upon this page. To anyone in the same situation: Here is how to solve the problem.

The error message KSS00001 is caused by the safety stop of the smartPAD. You will maybe ask: "The button is already released?" Yes, but the signal of the button is part of a a safety circuit called "internal safety", which is not closed yet. This is done so you can put another safety stop in series with the one of the smartPAD. If you don't want to use this (which is the standard case), you have to close the circuit.

In the package that comes with the robot, you should find two small plugs for the safety protocols XG58 and XG11.1. The first one should already have some cables plugged into it. This one is the one to close the internal safety circuit. Open the controller side door and search for the input with the name XG58. Put the plug in there, and the KSS00001 error should disappear in an instant.

After activating the start-up mode (IBN/T1), you should be able to move the robot manually. Have fun!

P.S.: If you want to move the robot without the start-up mode, you have to close the external safety circuit as well. For this, use the XG11.1 plug. Here, you will have to use your own cables to bridge the circuit, as this system is expected to be used for external stops (light barrier, door opening sensor etc.)

Advertising from our partners