Extended TP memory

• Hi,

In near future I want to create some milled parts using cam software and fanuc robot. Any of those programs uses hundreds or thousands of points. After developing many different parts there will be hundreds of different programs, so it will take lots of memory.

And there my question appears - how to deal with memory? I think fanuc robot itself can't provide such a big space to allocatate this.

I have read about using usb flash stick or ethernet port.

Can someone explain me how would it work with both of them?

-Do I have every single time load NEW program from usb and start it from program select or can I just start it via connected memory storage?

-If i run out of memory because of loaded programs do I have to manually delete some programs or can I set some kind of override?

-With ethernet - how do I load (transfer) program, do I have to use roboguide or other app for that? It is bascily a file so there is no need (I think) to import it and then transfer via RG

-Then again I guess I will have to delete some programs, can I load programs directly through teach pendant? Like it would choose a program from set directory on PC

-What addons (options) for robot should I have to run this?

I would appreciate any other thoughts

• Do you have karel? A job I worked on a while ago we would dynamically load and unload programs with a local ftp server. Files were kept as .tp on the FTP server.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• You could do it remotely over Ethernet using any FTP client. You would need to manually delete to free up space then load the new programs.

Technically that could be automated by a savvy programmer either with Karel on the robot side, or with a service on the server side.

Do you have any idea of the total KB of memory needed?

• How new is the robot?

On the latest robots you can store your files in DRAM, which is now up to one gigabyte on new robots.

As with most things Fanuc, it's a paid option to do this. I think it's just called "DRAM file storage"

• Thank you guys for responses,

You could do it remotely over Ethernet using any FTP client. You would need to manually delete to free up space then load the new programs.

Technically that could be automated by a savvy programmer either with Karel on the robot side, or with a service on the server side.

Do you have any idea of the total KB of memory needed?

Okay thanks a lot. I think there is no need to complicate simple operation like manual delete and manual load.

Actually I have troubles with generating 5 axis paths in fusion360 because of its poorness... So I'm not sure for the moment how much I will need, but I think I can optimalize it from up to 1MB to about 50kB by optimalizing the path. (Which eliminates the problem to some point - to number of future developed models)

How new is the robot?

On the latest robots you can store your files in DRAM, which is now up to one gigabyte on new robots.

As with most things Fanuc, it's a paid option to do this. I think it's just called "DRAM file storage"

Thanks for an answer. For the moment I'm learning CAM to use it with a robot (what from a robot side isn't big deal). My goal is to master it to perfection in max 2 years. I mean the whole big project. And I can't realy tell now if I will be capable to buy 2005-2012 year robot or a new one. It will need I think 3 robots so I guess I will use 2005-2012 because of price.

But usb stick buys me - it can store gigabytes or memory, and it's simple to use with TP.

Any other thoughts about usb stick? Any disadventages comes into your mind?

• If you are at 50 KB you shouldn't need any options or USB.

If you go beyond that you could simply use a USB. Delete programs from the select menu then load from the file menu.

If you buy an old robot it may not support USB but instead may use compact flash cards or floppy disks. Make sure you find out what you are getting.

Advertising from our partners